Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats The Hardest Thing About Being A Beginner

Default Whats The Hardest Thing About Being A Beginner

Like the title asks, what, in your opinion, is the hardest thing about being a beginner?

I've been thinking about this quite a bit the last few days. My personal pros and cons. My pros, I'm very confident, don't get nervous on horseback and i approach the challenge. My cons, well i have habbits from my head dropping, heels up, and i need work on trot and light seat but that all comes with experience and work.

The hardest thing for me isn't the riding aspect, it's me. I don't allow for mistakes from myself. I get uptight if i make some. I know i shouldn't but if i cant do something i hate ending with me not being able to, even when i know i cant physically due to not having the right muscle development. I find it makes it harder for me to notice when i actually improve, people can watch me and see an improvement and yet i don't always feel i made any.

In that case i am my own worst enemy! So theres mine, what do you feel is the hardest thing for you? Is it a mental trait or something physical?

Thanks for reading!

For me (as perhaps not a beginner but someone with plenty to learn) is my balance and co ordination
    Confidence is probably the biggest thing, although am over that hurdle now!!

I think as well it's accepting that you're never going to be perfect. I think when you do something you think they'll be a day when you can do it all fine, and in fact you need to accept that you will always be learning, and nothing will ever be perfect ... and when one thing is perfect something else has gone wrong
    Once you've come to terms with that, then you often come on in leaps and bounds.

Oh and falling off - the fear of the unknown. Once it's happened then the rider realises what the very worst thing is, so it doesn't become scary anymore. Probably ties in with confidence a lot
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

For me (not a complete beginner) it is my lack of confidence.........I get so frustrated with it......

Quality horses and ponies for sale. http://www.bourtonvaleequestrian.co.uk/

For me as a beginner the hardest thing is that i always feel nervous every time i ride. I was really hoping to have confident someday.

With adult beginners, the big issue tends to be a fear of doing something new in case of a fall. Once that first fall is out of the way (assuming it's not a serious one) confidence seems to improve a lot if you've got through it and got back on. Children tend to be much more relaxed, and bounce back from falling off much easier than adults do.

I didn't really have formal lessons when I learnt to ride as a kid, so my biggest problem as an adult has been my instructors over the years since I started having lessons on my own horses giving me instructions I don't understand, or don't know how to achieve, and giving little opportunity for me to say "actually, can you explain that to me."
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

Finding a good riding school or RI. The right one will have you moving forward in no time. The wrong one will teach you lots of bad habits.

I think the difficulty of doing this when you don't know anything about horses can be underestimated

For me it is frustration (I am quite nervous as well) but its more a case of getting frustrated with myself when I don't get things right (canter transitions etc) but that makes it worse because once I get frustrated I tense up and don't listen properly

its not that I am in a desperate need to get everywhere quickly but I don't quite know how to manage the frustration when things don't quite go right which then snowballs into things going very wrong (like hitting the deck in my lesson last Saturday)

I have a good riding school with a fab instructor who is really helping with my confidence and I never in a million years thought I would be cantering (all be it badly) this soon but I really really need to work on the frustration with my self and relax a bit more

The taller your horse, The closer you are to the stars!

Being annoyed at myself because I can't do something.

Physical - my brain knows what to do, but my legs and feet don't have the foggiest! RI's are pretty much resigned to the fact my heels arent going to go down now and that the ball of the foot just isnt going to stay on the iron. Silly nerve damage :/ Thats been the hardest for me - working around physical limitations to be able to ride in a similar way to everyone else. Things have taken a lot longer for me as I dont have the security and balance that the correct leg position offers.

I would definitely say my lack of confidence, but every time i ride it gets better. But then il make a mistake, or something wont go the way i had expected, so it knocks me again. Il get there though!