Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping...I'm such a wuss.... !

Default Jumping...I'm such a wuss.... !

Had a lesson today. Time for me to try some jumpies again... Ed was a fantastic boy this morning - looked afte his doting Mum throughout the whole lesson. We started with some schooling on the flat and dressage type exercises (very basic level!) and then we did trotting poles, then some ickle cross-poles. He was perfect - we jumped them in trot and canter and he didn't put a hoof wrong.

But, I just daren't go higher. My RI keeps saying, that's a fantastic position, just push him on more etc. etc. How about we take it higher. But, I just shrink away and tell her I'm happy with it as it is...... such a whimp..

Do you want to go higher? Is your confidence holding you back?

If you don't want to jump any higher, don't, simples!! Who cares what other people think

If you do, how often do you jump? If I leave it too long I'm a nervous nellie when I start again and it takes me ages to build it back up. If you reguarly jump at a height your comfortable with slowly but surely this will become absolutely no big deal at all and you can creep it up slowly inch by inch.

Just breathe and enjoy!! Push yourself slightly out of your comfort zone each time and it WILL get easier

Thank you Chestnut mare. I guess I only jump tiny X-poles once every few weeks, so not enough really Think I should probably ensure I include jumps in my esson once a week, then maybe once I've jumped the ickle X-pole a hundred times I'll be happy to go higher But, I do feel like wuss. My RI says my position is really ok ... which is at least something

That's a huge thing - mine sucks!! perhaps even just having a x-pole out when your doing your usual schooling, have a flatwork session then just pop over it once at the end. Consistency if definately the key IMO!

if you dont feel confident enough to go higher then dont, you dont want to push yourself to much and scare yourself. when i first started jumping i used to jump a straight pole on bottem hole of the wings and i refused to go higher because i was scared! then as i got more confiedent and started riding with girls who would jump huge i got more interested in going higher! then on my lesson my RI would ask if i wanted it put up if i did i would go higher if i felt i couldnt do it, it would stay the same untill i was ready..

the point to my ramble is somtimes it is good to push yourself out of your comfort zone, but if your really not confortable doing so then dont theres no rush

Why go higher if you feel happy with your diddy ones? I'm happy with my little cross poles, I'd like to work on learning about striding, or my position, of combinations of fences, instead of single higher ones

Thank you. I think I'm happy to work on little courses and doubles, rather than height. So will take that approach first

Someone once told me it's not the height that matters at all .... it's getting the technique right over the smaller jumps and then once your more confident build it up slowly

If it makes you feel better I am complete jumping wuss too

Me and Barney are still waiting to have a go. Will remind his owner again if she doesn't mind giving me a mini lesson

Hey just go at you own speed and enjoy :0

I know you follow my threads so you know Iv gone from this

to this...

Its only coz I really want to and try to push myself like its taken me 3 months to get this far, I have weekly jumping lessons wont miss one, there have been many times I want to cry and my RI as felt like pulling her hair out but we are getting there 
    If I can do it anyone including you can

I look forward to following your threads too.

Thanks all.

I did see you thread EL - love the second picture. That's a real achievement. Grace looks lovely....