Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ulcerative Colitis....Stoma/Bag

I haven't suffered from it myself but have looked after many people with the condition and similar conditions like crohn's disease. Its nice on the ward when looking after a patient who has had a bowel resection for them to come back a few months later and let us know what they've been upto. Well done for getting over it and glad your reversal worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    I haven't suffered from it myself but have looked after many people with the condition and similar conditions like crohn's disease. Its nice on the ward when looking after a patient who has had a bowel resection for them to come back a few months later and let us know what they've been upto. Well done for getting over it and glad your reversal worked out.
    Thankyou! Yes I know a few people (met through it) who have had it and are now the other side and doing well...but apparantly I was one of the worse off ones by the sounds of things!!!! Crohns can be alot worse...there isnt a cure for that

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by holly&mickey View Post
    Crohns can be alot worse...there isnt a cure for that
    Chron's is nasty - one of my friends at school died from it at 23 He was such a nice lad too - incredibly bright, very sport and really popular. Such a shame

My nephew has Crohns, he is about the same age as you. He has always managed to avoid a stoma - but narrowly and he has spent about six months of every year off school ill and in hospital since he was about 10 years old. He seems to be coping now and is fairly well but it is a constant worry and usually constant pain too.

Glad to hear that you are well now.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    My nephew has Crohns, he is about the same age as you. He has always managed to avoid a stoma - but narrowly and he has spent about six months of every year off school ill and in hospital since he was about 10 years old. He seems to be coping now and is fairly well but it is a constant worry and usually constant pain too.

Glad to hear that you are well now.
    Thats awful i can totally 100% sympathise with him....its not a nice experience at all to go through, mine has effected my life.....i was a recluse for thebest part of a year and it did have a knock on effect but i do life a full life now which i guess is good....suffered from depressiong big time which i now take pills for still....3/4 yrs on!!

If your son wants anyone whos 'been there done that' to talk to im always open to ears

I have had Crohn's since 2002. I spent my daughters first Christmas and new year in hospital, i have missed out on two holidays when i was badly flaring and i regularly drop down to 8 stone when im ill(im 6ft 1)
    I have narrowly avoided a stoma but have had many surgeries etc. I have been lucky that ive never had it interfere with the horses but i will say the reason i have the sturdy reliable tonto around is so that when im flaring or very weak i can still ride and feel safe. x

Quote Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
    I have had Crohn's since 2002. I spent my daughters first Christmas and new year in hospital, i have missed out on two holidays when i was badly flaring and i regularly drop down to 8 stone when im ill(im 6ft 1)
    I have narrowly avoided a stoma but have had many surgeries etc. I have been lucky that ive never had it interfere with the horses but i will say the reason i have the sturdy reliable tonto around is so that when im flaring or very weak i can still ride and feel safe. x
    Thats sad about you missing on holidays but good you have avoided a stoma...

Surgery is difficult...(not sure how you were with it but i know i didnt recover all that well) its not to have a safe neddy around so you know you can ride x

I was really interested to find this thread - new to Trot Online but previously on NR. I have a stoma, have had it for nearly 3 years and was terrified of getting back in the saddle (and life in general). It was talking to one of our dressage judges that persuaded me to stop being such a pansy about it and get on with that part of my life! He knew about my problems - I've had bowel cancer - and chose one Sunday morning when I was writing for him to tell me that he had had a stoma for over 15 years and not to be so afraid.

If it wasn't for my horse, Mr KadyA, my son and some good friends at my yard I don't think I would be here now - I wanted to give up on life in general, and was far too afraid to get back on Stella - just assuming my "adjustments" would freak people out if i fell off or anything like that. Some people are freaked out about it I know - thats their problem - and it takes prozac for me to be able to say that! I feel very judged for being "different", and I think the depression is something I will always have to contend with.

But having said all the above, if it wasn't for the stoma, I probably wouldn't be here now - and although I am currently grounded from riding because I have recently had a tendon graft in my hand - I will be back in the saddle hopefully by Christmas, stoma and all!

I hope I haven't shocked some of my former NR buddies with my confessing all here, but its good to talk to other people who have been or are in the same situation. The impact on my life has been enormous, but thanks to a certain very nice dressage judge I have managed to regain some perspective on my riding life. Other aspects of my life are improving. I wore a bikini on holiday last year - and basically thought b*llocks to people who looked. I go to the gym etc - but I won't get changed in communal areas, I doubt I will ever be that brave again.

Thanks for listening to my waffle!!

Quote Originally Posted by KadyA View Post
    I was really interested to find this thread - new to Trot Online but previously on NR. I have a stoma, have had it for nearly 3 years and was terrified of getting back in the saddle (and life in general). It was talking to one of our dressage judges that persuaded me to stop being such a pansy about it and get on with that part of my life! He knew about my problems - I've had bowel cancer - and chose one Sunday morning when I was writing for him to tell me that he had had a stoma for over 15 years and not to be so afraid.

If it wasn't for my horse, Mr KadyA, my son and some good friends at my yard I don't think I would be here now - I wanted to give up on life in general, and was far too afraid to get back on Stella - just assuming my "adjustments" would freak people out if i fell off or anything like that. Some people are freaked out about it I know - thats their problem - and it takes prozac for me to be able to say that! I feel very judged for being "different", and I think the depression is something I will always have to contend with.

But having said all the above, if it wasn't for the stoma, I probably wouldn't be here now - and although I am currently grounded from riding because I have recently had a tendon graft in my hand - I will be back in the saddle hopefully by Christmas, stoma and all!

I hope I haven't shocked some of my former NR buddies with my confessing all here, but its good to talk to other people who have been or are in the same situation. The impact on my life has been enormous, but thanks to a certain very nice dressage judge I have managed to regain some perspective on my riding life. Other aspects of my life are improving. I wore a bikini on holiday last year - and basically thought b*llocks to people who looked. I go to the gym etc - but I won't get changed in communal areas, I doubt I will ever be that brave again.

Thanks for listening to my waffle!!
    kathy never new! you dont come across as a pansy after all the grief you gave me
    Official PRESIDENT of the TO 'Blue Peter Badge Owners' Clique

Its not something I am that keen on sharing ... but it was quite liberating to be honest!

I am so such a pansy ... wait til you see me before a dressage test, puking, unable to speak, when I do speak its purely to snarl (or cry!), shall I continue??

Most people would never know about my modifications but there are the rare occasions when I can't disguise it.

going for Stella therapy now

I love this new forum!