Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you cross her with?

Default What would you cross her with?

Looking into putting chayla in foal and wondered what you would recomeened i cross her with?

She's a friesian and im looking for a sport horse, i.e an all rounder.

I would like to cross her with a tb but what do you think?

Depends what you like type wise. A TB will give you a less heavy horse than a friesian. I personally am not a huge fan of most of the friesian x tbs i've seen, they look a little common Nothing special. Possibly look into a warmblood if you were aiming for dressage or jumping? Or an ID if you wanted a chunky foal but without quite such a friesian look

Depends if you still want it to look friesian-ey. Things like TBs seem to take that away from the friesian. Arab x friesian seems to give a more friesian looking foal from what i've seen.
    What would I do without you, my loyal and precious friend?
    Part mischief, but all blessing, and faithful to the end.

a tb a tb a tb

come meet Bodi first see what you think :P

I would go for a TB, not common at all as above suggested. In fact we have one in Shetland and he wins everything and is outstanding!
    If I was looking to buy another horse id go for a frisian x tb.

Hopefully you will get Chayla's temperament and chunky neck with the athletic body of a TB, very versatile

Bodie is another example of this, also look on Mealrigg stud they cross Wessel with TB's and get lovely looking youngsters imo.

Quote Originally Posted by inishturk View Post
    I would go for a TB, not common at all as above suggested. In fact we have one in Shetland and he wins everything and is outstanding!
    If I was looking to buy another horse id go for a frisian x tb.

Hopefully you will get Chayla's temperament and chunky neck with the athletic body of a TB, very versatile

Bodie is another example of this, also look on Mealrigg stud they cross Wessel with TB's and get lovely looking youngsters imo.
    I wasnt having a dig at TB x friesians as you seem to have taken it If you read my post you will see that i told Chayla it depends what type of horse she is looking for and then went on to say that I find the tb crosses are often a bit common looking, when compared to a friesian is what i meant. I wouldnt do that cross if you want a very friesian type foal as all but a couple of the friesian x tbs i've seen havent had a particularly friesian look about them so it seems a bit of a gamble as to whether it would take after which parent. But i certainly wasnt criticising the tb x friesians on here (or anywhere else!!) as it is a very versatile horse, but a TB isnt the only option for that versatility

Oh, and welcome back
    Last edited by UnaB; 09-07-2010 at 22:38. Reason: forgot my manners!
    What would I do without you, my loyal and precious friend?
    Part mischief, but all blessing, and faithful to the end.

Another Friesian X I like is Wesh D, there is a lady in Holland on another forum who has one called Charlie he is drop dead!!!!!

Me and OH have put our 2 tb mares in foal to a friesian to produce nice sport horses. I find that TBs are each so different one friesian X TB looks nothing like the next one! I have seen some really nice ones and some that I wasn't too keen on, but they generally have everything you want in an allrounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowjones View Post
    Me and OH have put our 2 tb mares in foal to a friesian to produce nice sport horses. I find that TBs are each so different one friesian X TB looks nothing like the next one! I have seen some really nice ones and some that I wasn't too keen on, but they generally have everything you want in an allrounder.
    Totally agree with this, the one in Shetland has the friesian neck and the hugest hindquarters ive ever seen (2 things a TB can lack in) yet he has the athleticasm of a TB.

If you are going to go for a TB try to find an 'old fashioned' type - smaller, wider and with deep girth! My Danica had a tb foal before we bought her, the sire was Excelcis and the foal was stunning! Other than that a PBA would give a nice allrounder or even a straight anglo stallion.

Welsh D x Friesian I think would be very nice.... keeping the high knee action.