Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this? The RS-tor

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think of this? The RS-tor

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know

i can see it would be useful for novices lacking confidence, or while trying to develop a secure seat, but i wouldnt like to use it on a bad bucker or rearer or anything.
    I think sometimes its just safer to come off a horse like that, and wonder if people might hold on too hard for too long and have the horse come over on them or something, instead of being thrown clear.

havent seen one IRL or thought about it too much, but thats my first thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a silly idea. It's an extra gadget that you have to remember to keep hold of permanently. It would get in the way when you want to shorten your reins or swap your whip over.

I have a grab strap on my saddle, basically a strap between the 2 front D rings. It came with the saddle and I've never had to use it to hold on to. I mainly use it for carrying a waterproof coat out on a hack in case it rains, but it's a handy strap in case of emergencies. In the video scenario where the rider is falling off forwards the grab strap would work just as well imho but without all the faff.

Post Thanks / Like

Just get a neck strap or put a stirrup leather around your horses' neck. Or use the built in handy grab-strap - the mane! (Unless like me, you have a hogged cob and there is no handy mane but then I have the aforementioned neckstrap )

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible video, poor horse!
    "The Horse is never wrong."

Post Thanks / Like

but with the neck stra, you need to remember to hold onto it if something happens, where as the other one, you are already holding onto it like a whip....but i dont know!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll instinctively grab what ever is handy in an emergency. I don't think you'll need to 'remember' .. tbh if you are so worried about what the horse might do that you want something permanently attached to you to 'save' you I'd be having a little think about what you are doing.

And yes..airjackets are permanently attached to the saddle.. and yes many people use them...but they are not for holding on to - they need to be attached to work.. not the same.

ETA - also.. where that is I wouldn't find particularly secure. I like a neckstrap partly for it's position further forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an extra thing to hold all the time. Better off to have a neck strap or saddle handle on as there abit more rigged. (i think the bloke needs a few more lessons the way he was gabbing that mouth)

Post Thanks / Like

I've had two close falls and one fall in the past year. For the two that I stayed on, the horses neck came in pretty handy! My instinct was to simply wrap my arms around said horses neck and that seemed pretty effective The third time I lost my reins and we were caught between a gate and a fence, didn't fancy the possibility of spooky horse running through/around either so semi-bailed

Post Thanks / Like

If I ever fall, I dont think about grabbing anything, it all happens so quickly I just literally dont remember, so for me if I needed anything a neck strap would be no good. So in that case I can see it would be handy, not that I'll be getting either...but I think if it gives someone confidence when riding be it if they need it or not then its not a bad thing

haha yeh I do think he needs just a few more lessons!