Thread: Riding after a hip replacement & major leg surgery.

Default Riding after a hip replacement & major leg surgery.

Hi All

I had a hip replacement over two years ago, after living with arthritis for 15 years. I had a congenital hip problem which meant early arthritis and a early hip replacement (age 40). The congenital problem led to a badly deformed femur, which meant the hip replacement wasn't straight forward. I then had to have my leg "re-aligned", ie bone cut & large plate, I am now 3 months post-op after having the plate removed and feel like a new start after all the surgery.

I have been carriage driving for about 3 years now and have only ridden a couple of times since surgery, none since the last op. I love carriage driving and I think that will be my regular method of exercising my horse. My leg is feeling so much better now though and I quite fancy riding, the plate I had in previously meant riding was pretty much out of the question - god knows what state I might have been in if I came off. My horse is a really good boy and I have no doubt he will look after me, so falling off is probably a very low risk.

Can anyone relate to this? Do you still ride?

I knew a lady who had 2 hip replacements and did a bit of dressage. The only thing she was worried about was going into the field (which was on a slope) if it was wet and slippy. I know it's not quite the same as you, but hope it helps.

Thanks Kirsty

I took the Bull by the horns today and went for a short ride. My friend walked with me, all was ok and I felt safe, so I think I will try and ride every Sunday now. Obviously my friend wont be there every week but it was reassuring and she only turned up when i was ready to go so I would have done it regardless. Getting on might have been a laugh without her there though. My bad leg is the left so difficult to pull my self up. I think I'll have to find some unconventional way of getting on - ie climbing up the gate!!

Tina

I had ACL surgery on the 9th of december and (which I know wasn't really that long ago) but I'm not suppose to ride for 9 months.... but today I decided to go ahead and hop on I couldn't wait. Felt so nice to be on her back and she was a sweetheart like she knew. I love her so much! And omg how nice to be off my feet and still able to move! Best day of my life (gotta love the little things!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Hello there and how is your gorgeous boy??

OH (who you met at the gradings) has just had his first hip done and is waiting to have the other one (in January hopefully).

We've mentioned the horses to the physio and they have said that riding is fine once all the muscles around the hip have knitted back up to their full strength - you go for it, your boy is a superstar and will look after you I'm sure!