Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spectator report of the national side saddle show with pics

Default spectator report of the national side saddle show with pics

So on Sunday I borrowed the animal from the OH and set off for addington to watch the side saddle champs. It was all going brilliantly until with 12 miles to go I got stuck in a queue of cars following a combine (a tractor towing the tractor part and the pick up pulling the combine part. Not reaching much more than 18 mph on the downhill it seemed to take an awfully long time to get there from Aylesbury.

Having never been to Addington before I was immediately impressed by the electronic gates and the arenas. There were 2 jumping arenas set up (one normal and one working hunter. There were 3 outdoor arenas (with no sides), 2 for showing and 1 for a le trec type course and a huge indoor arena. There was an indoor warm up arena too.

I headed for the office and waited in line behind a woman objectioning about her daughters lead rein position in which the judge had commented on the pony’s manners and conformation. She was citing the rules at the poor woman and stating that she had a passport proving the pony had excellent lineage so couldn’t have bad conformation.

I asked if Dee was about which sadly she wasn’t so went exploring. I felt a bit weird on my own and no-one seemed overly keen to chat as they were all in big groups (I did try)

The first class I watched was for ladies over the age of 60.

There were 2 horses that seemed rather overweight to me.

Video of one of the competitors

Pic of the line up

There was a class going on outside that I passed on my way to watch the workers

Vid

The sun was at the wrong angle to take any photos but it was beautiful to watch and boy can they gallop on command, we need a lot more work on our gallop before we can hope to move out of local fun stuff. All the horses were very fit and lithe but covered.

Then I went to watch a le trec type competition called versatile horse. Obstacles included bending poles, walking over blue plastic, rein back, opening and shutting a gate, posting a letter and collecting plastic balls from a mannequin and dropping them in a bucket

Gate

Letter

Video of the balls

I then went to watch the pairs who were being judged by my most local instructor.

Little and large vid

Pic of 2nd place

The winners were a large pair of chestnuts who were immaculately turned out

I then went to ask for a schedule and was again behind the same woman making the same complaint to a different official!

Next was in to watch the ROR class (SS and astride). It was huge and it went on for some time. I did note that some of the grooms that came in to help were not particularly well dressed. Apart from fun small shows I have always been taught to make sure your grrom is as smart as possible wearing trousers/jods, a jacket and a hat. Some seemed to take the rules which stated ‘grooms will be permitted to enter competing rings only at the judges request and must be smartly and professionally turned out wearing a hat’

Some seemed to think this meant jeans and a baseball cap or even stranger jeans and a posh wedding type hat. The winner was astride.

I went out just in time to see the presentations for the champagne class where you had to ride side saddle holding a glass of (fake) champagne whilst doing a show as directed by the judge. The person with the most left won.

The last class I watched was the senior jumping

Vid

Overall I was impressed by the different types of horses taking part. They really try and do lots of classes so everyone can take part. All the competitors seemed hugely supportive of each other which was lovely to see. Some of them were turned out so beautifully I almost asked for them to come and attack Mischief with scissors and plaiting bands.

I had a quick walk round the stands before heading home. I just need to hire a saddle now
    no-one died of a fast trot
    A member of the Secret Sausage Society

Great pics. Thanks for sharing
    I love watching sidesaddle. They always look so graceful and smart.
    I had no idea that they did all that sort of Le Trec stuff aswell though. That's pretty impressive. I have enough of a job on doing gates while astride!

Pmsl at complaining lady. Some folk just don't get it do they? Pity we couldn't get a pic of ponio so we could judge for ourselves

wowee!! i love side saddle!!

i have a long term goal to try side saddle on honey but as the saddle would be 2.5k to have made for her its a very long term goal

i'd love to have a tweed habit for her too but alas that's supposedly only for natives....

Wow, they all look so smart.

I love the idea of the champagne race - going to have to suggest that to our YO when we next have pony club races!

Quote Originally Posted by Wotsit View Post
    Wow, they all look so smart.

I love the idea of the champagne race - going to have to suggest that to our YO when we next have pony club races!
    Sounds a bit like an equestrian egg and spoon race

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    wowee!! i love side saddle!!

i have a long term goal to try side saddle on honey but as the saddle would be 2.5k to have made for her its a very long term goal

i'd love to have a tweed habit for her too but alas that's supposedly only for natives....
    there were people in the workers with tweed on you can hire saddles first if you want a go or have a lesson on someone elses horse to try it I think you would both look great doing ladies hunters
    no-one died of a fast trot
    A member of the Secret Sausage Society

Thanks for sharing - side saddle fascinates me and scares me at the same time

As for the champagne race, they do similar with the gaited horses to show how smooth your gait is. The incentive is that it's real champagne and you get to drink what you have left
    Only when things do not interest one, can one give a really unbiased opinion; no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is absolutely valueless.

Sounds like a fascinating day

Wow that sounds great, I've only had a go at side saddle once before and i can't say I felt particularly secure but would love to have a go again!

Lovely pics , thank you , the Trec style competition looks amazing I think I would topple off if I bent down like that.
    They all look so elegant.

What an idiot complaining to two different people that she hadn't won , some people