Thread: First jumping competition

Default First jumping competition

After jumping in our home paddock, and finally a trip for a proper yard on his own my son is ready to attend his first show on Sunday.

Now, we have gone and bought a black jacket, white shirt, he has a tie - cream jodhpurs and leather chaps over new boots (how expensive is this!).

His instructor has chosen his three classes, and has told us not to turn up too early.

He knows not to go through the start before the bell, and after the bell to go through the start within a short time

What else do we need to know or bear in mind please? I'm far more nervous than him, but I feel responsible for steering him in the right way on Sunday, and I know nothing. Help!

Dont worry!!! The main thing people do is forget the course! That and leg leg leg before a jump

The jumping bit gives me no worries at all - I have seen his pony refuse a fence once, and I've seen it have a couple down - but the jumping isn't what scares us! - it's the etiquette and how to know when it's your turn and things.

I'm very nervous for them - he doesn't want to feel silly and I feel awful for not being a 'horsey mummy' who can 'groom' properly.

I am not sure on the location where you are jumping, but when I do indoor jumping and at local rc its all very laid back. A lot of the time you dont even need to wear a jacket, just jods/boots. Just start when the buzzer goes and remember the course. I think thats about it! Oh and be ready to do a jump off and then come back in for results, with horse. Some people put rugs on whilst waiting in between but its pretty warm outside

Lime Kiln Stables in Norfolk