Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How people pick themselves up after a rubbish lesson

Default How people pick themselves up after a rubbish lesson

was wondering how people pick themselves up after feeling down about a particular lesson you have had. I mean how you forget about and not think why that go wrong and what could I have done to make it better. Reason for me asking is that when I have bad lesson, I am always told am too hard on myselfAlso if I have had a bad lesson I feel like have have achieved nothing.

I tend to try to forget about it and think about what I will do differently next time/how I plan to work on the things that went wrong. Makes me look forward to the next one I also remember that you learn from lessons like that, so yes things went wrong but I can always improve next time, try to think positive. Take it as a way of achieving those goals, and think what went right/good part of the lesson (there is always something that went right!) Everyone has good and bad days, don't let it put you off, its part of learning to ride If all else fails, chocolate Edit; I also ask if I can ride a certain horse next time... example, I'm struggling with cantering circles on a horse, I will ask for a horse I know is better doing school movements in canter so that I can practise in the next lesson, and then try the other horse again when I have more confidence and have figured out how to ride it and have gotten used to it.

If it makes you feel any better my lesson this week was disastrous!
    Heres a vid of me *trying* to get canter but horsie decided she wanted to cut accross to avoid it, embarassing but a sense of humour goes a long long way. Ive also noticed my stirrups have slipped, and my leg position is pants. But, we had a laugh, and I know next time that I need to be more assertive with her and to keep an eye on my legs. Although I felt frustrated, I think riding would be really boring if there were no challenges or setbacks, It'd be so repetitive!

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u...rent=054-1.flv
    Last edited by Gemzie; 16-10-2009 at 19:49.

Default Reply

Gemize, thanks for the feed back. I will try and focus on the positive bits of a bad lesson, but that is hard for me as when I have a bad lesson I feel like I had no positive bits. I watched you video could just about see hwat you meant by the horse wanting to somewhere you didn't want it, my horse that I ride sometimes does that, goes off the track and I then have the hard bit of trying to get him back on to the track

I always feel that if i've had a bad lesson at least i won't do that again. So in some ways i'm still learning even though i don't feel like i've achieved anything. I don't dwell on what i did wrong because once you've done something wrong you can't change anything once the lessons finished you can only go back and try to do it right next time.
    And nobody gets it right all the time

Bad lessons are the worst! I don't mine when I've been told Ive been rubbish - thats fine, but when your instructor is really nice to you and you know you've been crap you just want to say 'thank you very much' and walk away!

I just look at it as a learning curve, and make sure I do better next time
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="purple"][B]Proud owner of Mr B - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FBAmksF8M[/url][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

We finish the lesson as fast as we can, then do something we're good at already, nothing makes you feel better than being awesome at something without putting much effort in For me, canter serpentines(which I am terrible at) are always followed by a massive extended trot(which we can do in our sleep)

http://pheme.posterous.com/ >>>> stalk me if you want, it's not terribly interesting though!

I am also very critical of myself after a bad lesson but have to tell myself that no matter what you do there are always bad things with everything, you have bad hair days, off days at work etc you don't beat yourself up about them so don't beat yourself up about a bad riding lesson either, just make sure you approach your next with a positive attitude because i learnt if your still thinking about the last bad lesson your next lesson will end the same , remember you are only human we all have off days

Default Reply

I will have to try and think more positive in my lessons, as people say I put myself down too mcu and try too hard, if i'm not happy with something then I will dwell over it and think why did it go so wrong ie if can't get canter or couldn't jump something. I will have to try hard to forget the negtive things move on and concentrate on positive things more

I keep a riding lesson log, Jot down the tips and also all the positives. Then if have a naff lesson I read back on the good stuff to cheer me up

Driving lessons were just the same for me, hard to get it right every time, don't be so hard on yourself and have fun

Default Reply

Thanks for the replies. I will have to differently be more positive
    and less harsh on myself