Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How people pick themselves up after a rubbish lesson

I've not had a rubbish lesson with my current instructor, but if I have a bad schooling session I look back and my diary and remind myself of how far we have come. It puts the bad days into perspective.

Default Reply

I don't keep I dairy of what I do as I do different things every lesson, and might find it hard to write what done down as I tend to forget what done sometimes, memory like a sieveIf I have a bad lesson, i tend to put down to me not doing it right not the way my instructor teaches me or what the horse does

I'm too hard on myself and there are times I know it's stupid but you can't always stop the feelings of uselessness over take you.

I'm at an agri college and I'm on an equine course. One of my biggest problems there was I rode too deep and heavy in the saddle. I did a lot of work to lighten my seat and one day was on a horse that decided to just run away with me in canter. Looking back I was probably too light in my seat but once I got off that horse, I could have cried with frustration!

In the last few months, I've faced more challenges and still get disappointed and have bad lessons. I still get frustrated and feel like I've gotten nowhere. But I do tend to generally take things a bit easier these days.

What I do, is I try and concentrate on the positives. Not from that lesson, when your that frustrated, it's hard to see anything good in a bad lesson, but you are good at something. Every rider has a stregnth somewhere. Remember what you're good at. Bad lessons make us better riders but you need to remember the areas that you're stronger in. Remember that you went from not being able to do x, y or z, and now you can do all what you do.

Just try and think of your good points and the good rides and you'll soon realize you're not half as bad as you feel!

Woah hello old thread only 3 and a half years old

Quote Originally Posted by Toby-Toes View Post
    Woah hello old thread only 3 and a half years old
    Jesus! Didn't notice that, I saw it on page one of the app and just went in with all guns locked and loaded

l look at it this way - every bad lesson makes you a better rider. lf they were all easy and good we would never progress :}

Never let it bother you, horses will NEVER come up with the goods 100% of the time, it's part and parcel of having animals. Just put it down to experience. It does not reflect badly on you as a person, unless it happens time and time and time again