Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Money Saving Tips

Default Money Saving Tips

Feel free to share your Horse-Related Money Saving ideas, Bargains out at the moment ect.
    I recommend UK Equine for cheap Red Rum items
    http://www.ukequine.co.uk

sell your horses

OJ
    Official PRESIDENT of the TO 'Blue Peter Badge Owners' Clique

Don't look for things to buy. Instead look for things to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraandharvey View Post
    sell your horses

OJ
    Tis an extremely good idea

I think at the end of every season, or maybe the end of every year? It's a good idea to go through all your equipment, and set aside all the stuff you haven't touched and decide whether to sell or trade it for something you will use!

I also made my own fly spray for the first time this summer. I used a combination of Avon Skin So Soft, Pure Citronella Oil and Vinegar, and mixed them in a old fly spray bottle. Smelled pretty funky, but it seemed to do a better job than the store bought stuff I had been using!

And once a year I make my own horsey cookies (preferably around the holidays)
    "The past is only the future with the lights on" - +44

ad lib hay - i'm amazed how many peeps struggle with weight on their horse over winter but have them stood in a bare paddock for 6-8hrs a day!!! odd! i know sometimes it's not possible btw but saves on hard feed costs

keep horse out 24/7 if available - question - does s/he really need to come in? prob not

repair your rugs - it's amazing how much self repair you can do rather than buying new

wash rugs by hand and re-proof yourself

i'll think of some more

Check your insurance policy and make sure you're not paying double on things - is your tack covered by your household insurance? Are all the activities you're covered for relevent (no point being insured for polo if you don't play ). If you turn away for the winter, or while on long-term sick, contact your insurance company and see if they do a companion-only policy. It saved me £20 a month when Sal was out of work
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

oh oh oh - check your feed - do you REALLY need the extra suppliments you are feeding your ned?!
    i used to use topspec at vast expense.... stopped it and not used it for a year and she's looking even better this year than last
    now i just use 10 equibites per day for vits and mins and TBPH she prob doesn't even need them

Don't spend a fortune on apples, carrots, etc in the supermarket - buy horse carrots and apples from your feed merchant. Ours does a big string bag for £2. If you don't think you'll use them all before they turn, split it with a friend.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Gothic_Sez/Signatures/Signature01.png[/IMG]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Sienna"]He's of the colour of the nutmeg. And of the heat of the ginger...he is pure air and fire; and the dull elements of earth and water never appear in him
    *Salsa* 19th April 1998 - 7th July 2013[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Forever Loved and Never Forgotten

[/CENTER]

if your horse is a good doer (like mine) or you dont have to feed alot of hard feed/chop
    share the cost with a friend

me & my cousin share feed in winter
    harvey is fed oats, and a small scoop of chop

her horse is fed chop and a small scoop of hard feed

harvey only gets hard feed running up to a comp/show

we split the cost of the chop between us
    share carrots/parsnips etc
    Official PRESIDENT of the TO 'Blue Peter Badge Owners' Clique