Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Money Saving Tips

ask liveries for mutual favors rather than paying YM to turn out etc

Ask your feed merchant if buying in bulk will get you a discount. Most feeds have a shelf-life of 6m or more so if you know you are going to get through a bag every couple of weeks or month, buy 6 and get a discount. Or club together with your mates.....

Sudocreme is a great barrier cream for mud fever, or even plain old Zinc & Caster Oil cream which you can buy even cheaper!

Stay away from ebay

Find a farmer who supplies large rounds of hay, straw, haylage, if you only have one or two horses club together. I was paying at my old yard £4.50 per bale of hay!!!! I now pay £10 for a large straw heston, £20 for a hay and £16.50 for a haylage. My hard feed bill has also gone down considerably as i mainly feed haylage, I think it has halved this year.

I get free shavings from local sawmill, then from feed shop i get split bales for 50% discount. I put the cheap ones down first then cover over well with the proper bales- next morning its the rubbish ones that are wet (i just remove wet every few days) really easy and really cheap.

I have been harsh with supplements and cut most out- not noticed any adverse effects so far!

Email your horse diet to suppliers etc *such as allen & page, hifi, dengie*
    ask for advice, check you are feeding the right thing..

i have cut out 2 supplements saving me a fair bit each month

Saves quite a bit if you buy you're shavings in bulk as well.

I agree with the ad lib hay!! Horses are so much happier as well.

Feed fibre based feeds - I use alfalfa chaff and Allen and Page's Fast Fibre with a dash of oil. Horses have just as much energy, are much more chilled and keep a nice weight. Plus during summer a sack of each lasts 2 months or more - for two horses In winter I add sugar beet and never go through more than 2 sacks for the entire winter.

Consider barefoot - my girls hack and school 5 times a week fine. We avoid stony ground but do plenty of road work, and farrier bills are slashed from £60 every 6-8 weeks to £20 (both prices per hores) every 10 weeks or so.

Buy as little as you can from tack shops - buckets are cheaper in DIY stores and cotton wool is half the price in Wilko's

I've got care of my girls down to about £120 pm ph averaged over the year. When they were stabled and fed mix based hard feeds I was paying at least twice that.

Use sites like Equestrian clearance or hunt on Ebay for cheaper items if the need arises, or make use of car boots.

Dont buy branded if you can use something else, eg, baby wipes instead of expensive equestrian branded wipes. Be inventive. Buy sponges from tesco instead etc...

Working in a tack shop i am like a kid in a sweet shop, but my word of advice is buy things that work for multiple things.
    IE i dont have lotions and potions for everything, i have hibi scrub..Cut heal for bad cuts, 'First aid spray' for minor cuts and rain scald/irritations. I have a mud barrier and one cream for this also.

Ask for bigger tubs of things. So for instance i swear by naf magic. Me and two others split a v. expencive 15k tub three ways, so 5k each..so around 4/ 5 month supply.

Alot of companies make 5L bottles etc so ask for it! If you see 500ml on a shelf ask if they can get bigger It is alot to pull out in one go but you get ALOT more for your money in the long run