Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Money Saving Tips

Quote Originally Posted by Julz S View Post
    Stay away from ebay
    thats a hard one!!

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

Instead of spending £6 on your canter mane and tail, we use

In an ordinary spray bottle, 1/8 of Persil Non Bio liquid, to 7/8 water, its amazing and lasts around 4 days unlike mane and tail which lasts over night at a push
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Swap expensive branded feeds for cheaper non-branded ones...

EG.

I was feeding Quitus Alfa A Oil £12.75 a bag, Ride & Relax £9.50 with Speedi Beet £7.95 a bag in the winter and Badminton Horse Feeds Fibre Plus Nuggets £7.95 a bag in his treat ball with a NAF vit&min supplement £9.75 per tub and garlic £6.95 per tub.

Once I spoke to the feed merchant and vet they said he's a healthy 5 year old he doesn't need all that rubbish!

He's now fed Mollychaff Apple Chaff £4.75 a bag and my own tack shop's Cool Mix (made by Badminton Horse Feeds) £5.50 a bag with Sugar Beet £FREE in the winter from YO. He still has the Badminton Horse Feeds Fibre Plus Nuggets £7.95 in his treat ball but I limit them to 3 bags throughout the winter. No more. I still give him Garlic but dried garlic flakes is cheaper £4.95 a bag than powdered or just dried whole garlic. And the NAF supplement which I buy online in bulk £17.50 and only need two tubs of for the whole winter instead of one tub a month.

Costs for 4 months have gone from aprox £180 to £120 and I could cut it more by changing the braded fibre nuggets to tack shops own which are £4.75 and removing the garlic in winter too.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ View Post
    Instead of spending £6 on your canter mane and tail, we use

In an ordinary spray bottle, 1/8 of Persil Non Bio liquid, to 7/8 water, its amazing and lasts around 4 days unlike mane and tail which lasts over night at a push
    Am assuming you mean the effect lasts that long! at first i thought you got through a bottle in that time!!! being bit thick

Cow udder salve to help prevent mud fever, udder cream to treat it (you can by enormous tubs from Mole Valley Farmers and places like that!)

Costco own brand shampoo (the green one) is a brilliant stain remover/whitening for grey horses/white bit and is under a pound for a big bottle as opposed to £5+ for horsey whitening shampoos that don't really work! Plus it smells lush!

Buy rugs on Ebay (ones you need!) my mate got a lush HW turnout rug w/ neck for 99p! It's basically a replica of the Weatherbeeta Orican I have, except for it's a rather fetching shade of purple! Lush rug though! You just need to have the patience to shop around!

Wash rugs with a hose and a broom, then hang up to dry rather than send off to the professionals. Also, soak them (when clean) in reproofing solution in the bath tup if needs be. If you absolutely MUST send them off to be professionally cleaned then shop around for the best deals. One place near us charges the earth (they do do a good job admittedly) because everything comes back in a nice neat plastic bag. Another place charges not very much at all and does equally as good (if not better) a job...reason they're so much cheaper? They don't get picked up in a van with fancy writing on the side, they don't spend loads of money on advertising and they don't package them in fancy bags to bring them back. Who really cares? Rugs are cleaned, repaired and reproofed really really well...I can buy a plastic box to store them in rather than a poxy little plastic bag!

Umm...had loads, will have a think!

I'm not sure if any of these ideas are of much use, but I'll post them anyway in case they will be of use to someone or another

When looking to get extra and/or replacement poles for horse jumps, check out for any local saw mills/timber yards to see if they have any suitable poles for sale, timber yards usually supply plain wooden poles that are suitable for horse jumps at a fairly cheap price

If you're refurbing a tack room, instead of buying expensive individual bridle hooks, a simple set of wooden back coat hooks will do the trick just the same and will easily be much cheaper and if possible, keep an eye out for these on sites like ebay to get them that little bit cheaper

If you have a pair of rubber riding boots that have any kind of puncture or split in them, then simply get a bicycle type repair kit and stick the puncture repair patch over the puncture or split and this should help you to get more life span from the boots, instead of having to buy a new pair

I don't know if any of these are of much help or not, but I thought they'd be worth mentioning at least
    "Wild s couldn't drag me away

furniture polish as a detangler

fairy liquid as a shampoo to remove stains

washing up bowls as feed buckets

rug up earlier rather than waiting and then having to spend loads of money on feed to put weight on
    FOR SALE - 15hh piebald cob gelding. stunning young man and reasonably priced.
    pm for details

i'm not sure if this is money spending or money saving BUT
    if you spend more than £300 @ robinsons - you can have 12 months interest free credit - but make sure you pay it at the end of the 12 months cos their interest rate afterward is horrid - cheaper than putting new saddle on yr credit card

get rugs repaired instead of buying new ones

Quote Originally Posted by harlequin View Post
    Am assuming you mean the effect lasts that long! at first i thought you got through a bottle in that time!!! being bit thick
    Yeh sorry, the effects
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]