Thread: Friesian/Breeding People - Interesting Video

Default Friesian/Breeding People - Interesting Video

I just found this on youtube and thought i'd share as it might be of interest to some people. The first couple of mins made me feel a bit and im not usually squeamish But it is fascinating.

Are its feet normal though? Check out about 5mins, they do a close up of the babies feet and they look weird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4r5hI5IZoA
    What would I do without you, my loyal and precious friend?
    Part mischief, but all blessing, and faithful to the end.

Love the lady in the dressing gown/nighty in the background

God - WHY did that woman interfere??? The birth was going perfectly well and unless there are problems there really is no need for human intervention, if she had pulled too hard then she could have caused problems grrrrr. I don't agree with just leaving horses to 'get on with it' in case there are any difficulties but if nothing is wrong then don't interfere

Yes though the feet are normal - foalies have little feathery things on their tootsies (there is a technical name but I can't for the life of me remember it ) they protect Mum from sharp edges on baby feet and stop the hooves from coming through the birth sac too early - they drop off after foalie is born.

See... This is helpful to me. Cos i wouldnt know whether to try and yank it out or leave it! Might have to have you on call when Una has a mini-me madlady

The feet look weird! Thanks for the info though, i would have been sending the Una baby to the local freak show

Quote Originally Posted by UnaB View Post
    See... This is helpful to me. Cos i wouldnt know whether to try and yank it out or leave it! Might have to have you on call when Una has a mini-me madlady

The feet look weird! Thanks for the info though, i would have been sending the Una baby to the local freak show
    See me being all a bit panicky and OCD the first time we were having babies took myself off to all sorts of talks - one on fertility and gestation and another couple on foaling - including how to spot the signs when something isn't right and what to do. It was really useful but very very scary and my vet's words have always stayed with me that someone should be around when mares are foaling because the whole labour process for a mare should take no more than 15mins - if it takes more than that there are problems which need to be fixed very very quickly.

I also learned all about spreading out the afterbirth and how to check that it is complete and nothing is missing - that is a bit urgh but very necessary! As it turned out I was really glad of the courses that I went on because Danica didn't cleanse and had I not been to the talks I wouldn't have had the first clue of how to deal with that or what sort of time window I had to get things sorted.

When the time is right then feel free to pick my brains I'll happily help out but I would recommend having a chat to your vet, it helped me loads. I also had a very experienced friend on standby (she has been breeding and dealing with equine births for 20+ years)

Yuk yuk yuk Sounds worse than the dog whelping!!

Luckily the stallion owner is fairly local and seems a lovely lady so im sure she wouldnt mind giving me some advice too My vet is great, he's very matter of fact, a proper old school type vet. If theres a problem he will just get on and sort it, he's not the type to faff around with flapping owners as i will no doubt be

No you won't be a flapping owner you will be a completely knackered owner - believe me!

When our first 2 babies were due I spent a week sleeping at the stables wrapped in ski-clothes to keep warm and still managed to miss the actual birth - I had popped home (just down the road) to get a flask refill - at the time she wasn't sweating or pacing or pawing - she was calmly eating her haynet. When I got back 10mins later Xander was born, 5 mins after that Danica was on her feet cleaning him off

Last year I was better at knowing just when Danica was going to foal so only sat up for 2 nights instead of a week and the ****** mare still fooled me! I had sat up all night while she groaned and kept getting up and down at at 07.30 I phoned OH to say I was nipping home for a wash and change. He said he'd leave home so she wouldn't be on her own. So I left to go home and he was on his way up - we passed half way and just as I put my key in the door my phone rang - she was giving birth! She must have waited till I'd gone and thought - quick no-one is looking get it over and done with - I was also a bit fretty about Dandea because it was her first so we were diligently checking her - and then she went and foaled in the field in the middle of the morning when we'd let her out for a bit of a mooch!