Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a rug

Default How to make a rug

This is a guide on how to make a fleece or cotton sheet.
    (Disclaimer - i will not be held responsible for any broken machines, stabbed or burnt fingers).
    The items you need to make a cotton sheet or fleece rug are:-
    Cotton twill/drill or fleece,
    Small piece of faux sheepskin fleece or fleece,
    Large hard surface eg dinning table or floor,
    Sewing machine,
    Thread,
    Binding (bias or polypropylene 36mm wide),
    Template (news paper),
    1" polypropylene webbing,
    2" polypropylene webbing (optional),
    2 x D rings,
    1 x buckle & strap,
    2 x surcingle sets (optional),
    Chalk,
    Pins.

Step 1
    Stick news paper together & lay flat on a hard surface (floor will do).
    Put a rug on top of paper folded in half & draw around the edge of the rug & mark on to template where the buckles, d rings & x surcingles (optional) go & also the darts at the back of the rug (mark these with dotted lines).
    Remove rug & cut out template.

Step 2
    Put 1 piece of material on the floor or table & place template on top & draw around edge of template. Repeat again so you have 2 pieces of material that resemble the shape of a rug.
    Pin spine seam together from wither to top of tail, & stitch together.
    Mark out dart seams on to inside of the rug & pin (should look like a triangle shape) & stitch together.

Step 3
    With binding pin strips on to the wither area & stitch on to rug.

Open rug out so it is now flat on the floor/table & pin the binding down the spine seam (remember to keep it even in the middle over the seam of the rug) start at the withers & go towards the back of the rug.

Fold binding in half & pin binding around the edge of the rug so the cotton or fleece is sandwiched between the binding, starting at the withers & finish at the withers. Stitch on to rug, make sure that the stitching is near to the outside of the rug. When you reach the withers again start a second row of stitching this time nearer to the inner/middle part of the rug.

Step 4
    Mark with chalk where all the buckles/straps/d rings/ cross surcingles (optional) go.
    Cut 1" webbing in to pieces big enough to hold the d rings & buckles on. Sill the ends of the webbing with either pressing on an aga or by running threw a naked flame (CAUTION WILL BE VERY HOT & WILL BURN) & press on to a cold surface.
    Pin & stitch all buckles in place.

Step 5
    Cut out a small square of faux sheepskin fleece or fleece & fold in half & half again so you have a small square. Open out so you now have a rectangle where you know where the center is. With the rug folded in 2 place the piece of material over the wither area. Pin & stitch on to the rug. This will now hide all the ends of the binding & should not rub.
    Place on your horse & enjoy.

If your now feeling really brave print off some large letters on a printer & cut out & use as a template.
    Mark the letters out on to some felt or material & stitch to your rug.

This is a guide to how i make rugs.
    If you decide to have a go yourselfs, then a domestic machine will only be able to cope with cotton or fleece & nothing thicker like a turnout rug or stable rug.

****Disclaimer i will not be held responsible for any broken machines, stabbed or burnt fingers****

ooo this is lovely thank you, I was going to say have you got any pics of a final one on a horse?

Quote Originally Posted by theherd View Post
    I was going to say have you got any pics of a final one on a horse?
    Because there made to order i don't like putting them on anything other than the horse that its for. I do have some for my pony.

Last edited by jess vincent; 12-09-2010 at 09:37. Reason: Added more pictures

yey lovely! Do you use an industrial machine then? Thank you for sharing

Yes i use an industrial sewing machine now, but my very 1st rug that i made back 6 years ago was made on a domestic machine, & it was a light weight turnout rug & the machine is still here to tell the tale but i wouldn't put anything thicker through it, as it was made in 1968.

JV thank you for that very easy to follow illustrated lesson.

I have this old book and its companions which are very good for measuring and pattern making

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-.../dp/0851313833

Also this American website has lots of Paper Patterns

http://www.suitability.com/

Yes they are very very helpful books & patterns as well. Yes i have the 2 books & i do refer back to them some times when i can't remember how to do something. The patterns are good. Transfer them on to paper & you have the original patterns for every other size. Glad you like the picture guide, sometimes it makes more sense than words.

That's brilliant!
    My mum used to make the odd rug for our lot when I was a kid, but they were nowhere near as good as that!

Thanks for sharing this, I might give it a go! x

Thanks for sharing. Ive been thinking of making a flusc sp? fleece exerise sheet Ive got a really thick waterproof one just want a light weight one wheter it will be cheaper to make one I dont know. I do like sewing. Ive put some popper things into a thin stable rug which hold's Beau's heat gel pads. I now need to make another one and get the measure right it's been a bit of trail and error not all of the poppers are in the right spot. Ive done two rugs with them in shame I forgot to use a thicker thread so now some of them are now coming off!!!