Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a rug

Quote Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Ive been thinking of making a flusc sp? fleece exerise sheet Ive got a really thick waterproof one just want a light weight one wheter it will be cheaper to make one I dont know. I do like sewing. Ive put some popper things into a thin stable rug which hold's Beau's heat gel pads. I now need to make another one and get the measure right it's been a bit of trail and error not all of the poppers are in the right spot. Ive done two rugs with them in shame I forgot to use a thicker thread so now some of them are now coming off!!!
    To make a ride on fleece exercise sheet just take a template off your other sheet. You could get away with the binding if you fold the edges over, bit of velcro on the front to attach to the saddle & 2 D rings on the back for the fillet.
    Fleece will cost about 5 per meter (more or less), 2x D rings about 30p each, thread & 1m velcro about 1.50 so you'll be looking at around 15-20 depending on how much fleece you need & the price per meter. But you will love it more than an off the peg exercise sheet.

With your heat pads. If you put the rug on & place heat pads where you need them on the inside, draw around them with chalk while being worn & you should have the right place. With the thread use bonded nylon (ebay best place) this tread is what is used to make rugs with as its rot proof.

Quote Originally Posted by FayeFriesian View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, I might give it a go! x
    Give it a go there are so many different styles of material out there & what ever you make is a one off.

Quote Originally Posted by jess vincent View Post
    To make a ride on fleece exercise sheet just take a template off your other sheet. You could get away with the binding if you fold the edges over, bit of velcro on the front to attach to the saddle & 2 D rings on the back for the fillet.
    Fleece will cost about 5 per meter (more or less), 2x D rings about 30p each, thread & 1m velcro about 1.50 so you'll be looking at around 15-20 depending on how much fleece you need & the price per meter. But you will love it more than an off the peg exercise sheet.

With your heat pads. If you put the rug on & place heat pads where you need them on the inside, draw around them with chalk while being worn & you should have the right place. With the thread use bonded nylon (ebay best place) this tread is what is used to make rugs with as its rot proof.
    He take a 7ft rug so if Im right would it be 4ft for a exerses rug? Thanks for this i think I will give it a go. With the other rug thing I mark it on the rug where it was suppose go whistd it was on him and still didnt get it complety right. On the other side it doesnt match. It works lol that what matters I just wouldnt want to show it off as my sewing is far from good!! Also do you know a place where I could get the popper's in bulk?? Ive been getting them from a fabic shop they only come in packs of 4 and I use a lot. Still want to put more onto his rugs. Thanks again

I would love to try this... I am thinking about making a dog coat first though I am guess it would be a similar design?

Yes dog coat would be made exactly the same way except there would be no seam along the spine as you would be able to make it out of 1 piece of material rather than 2 pieces & you would need a velcro belly strap.
    You should give it a go you might be surprised at how much you enjoy it.

I have emailed you

Very interesting!!!
    "The Horse is never wrong."

iv always wanted to make a rug but never really knew how so this is really helpful! whether i will actually get round to making one though is another question

where is the how to make a saddlecloth

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty View Post
    where is the how to make a saddlecloth
    Its on it way promise. I'm snowed under with repairs at the moment & just need to take a few more photos & then it will be uploaded.
    Kirsty wheres your dog coat?!