Thread: Barrel racing

Default Barrel racing

Anyone done it?

Chanelle and I are having a go, i cant wait

Yep...Well kinda - not at actual barel racing speeds, but at a decent canter. It's great.

Me and my friend have also got herc to manage it (2 cones and a plastic jump wing :P) he's not bad for big fat coblet.

You riding her englishing or neck reinging?

Quote Originally Posted by starsnrunes View Post
    Yep...Well kinda - not at actual barel racing speeds, but at a decent canter. It's great.

Me and my friend have also got herc to manage it (2 cones and a plastic jump wing :P) he's not bad for big fat coblet.

You riding her englishing or neck reinging?
    Thats what we're planning, just a bit of fun

Well i ride english but there is a woman at the yard who rides western so she's going to be showing us how its done lol Chanelle adapts quite easily to different riding styles so think she'll enjoy it, hoping to get the western lady on her a few times before hand

Yes me and Maverick tried it in America last summer

Wasnt really racing as I would only gallop the last barrel to the end so Maverick raced himself lol.

He was also insistant that he wouldnt hold onto the pommel but the quarter horses take off at such speed that I dont think he ever let go.

Was good fun would do it again.

Lots of leg...thats my trick, lol Inside on, and outside back and on to stop her bum swinging out.

She may not pick up neckreining....well not straight away, I'm still working on it with Herc - one minute he'll go loverly circling and changing diraction at the drop of a hat, the next we'll walk in to the fence because he doesn't want to turn. She just won't be used to it - essentially it's something we have drilled in to us when learning english riding - Don't worry though...doing it normally is just as effective and fun :P...

... I wanna barrel race properly again Thats it i'm going back to Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by essexlady View Post
    Wasnt really racing as I would only gallop the last barrel to the end so Maverick raced himself lol.
    Lol. I got told off for 'barrel racing' by one of the wranglers last summer when I was just supposed to be steering through the course at a sensible canter. He then decided it was fun to make us also weave through a row of cones on the straight run back...still in canter (luckily we were allowed to skip every other) And I was on a stubborn horse and not one of my faves. lol