Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions to ask when viewing a stallion??

Default Questions to ask when viewing a stallion??

hi im new on here and wondered if anyone could give me some advice...
    im looking to put my mare in foal next year and i have booked to go and see the stallion im interested in useing. just wondering if anyone has any ideas of some good questions to ask and thing to look at while im there??
    thank you
    hannah x

Watch him ridden and trotted up, have a look physically at him while stood up to get an idea of conformation etc check for any health problems and what sucess he has had at work, if possible ask to view previous years youngsters

Everyone will cover conformation, breedlines, progeny, etc but for me temperament plays a very big part and not many breeders even consider that.

I wouldn't breed from a gob****e of a stallion.

Frances thats completly true I viewed a beauty but he was a bolshy what not, Brambles stallion was as placid as you could wish

Look him over and assess his conformation - ideally he wants to be strong in the areas where your mare may be weak ie if your mare is long in the back and he is short in the back then that's fine but if he is also long in the back then you will get a long backed youngster, etc so would be better looking for a stallion that is short-medium in the back.
    See him trotted up and then worked (if you want to breed a jumping horse, see him jumped - if you want to breed a dressage horse, then see him doing some dressage moves, etc)
    Ask about his competition history
    Ask about any breed/competition gradings he may have had
    Ask about and assess his temperament - bad temperaments can be passed to offspring
    Ask about his health - any past problems - any problems in his sire/dam to their knowledge
    Ask about his offspring - their health, temparements, competitive achievements

Ask if he is swabbed clear and when he was last swabbed.

Temperament for me is just as important as conformation, ask if you can see him in his stable as well as see him out - see if there are horses next to him or whether he is kept isolated as that can say a lot about temperament.

As above

I was put off one stallion I went to view as he had only covered a few times and the maiden mares he had 'covered' had not taken, and as Flo was a maiden mare he got a big fat X!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="purple"][B]Proud owner of Mr B - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FBAmksF8M[/url][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Oh yes, I forgot......

has he got a snoggable nose?

Very important imho!

Last edited by Frances; 28-09-2010 at 14:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    Oh yes, I forgot......

has he got a snoggable nose?

Very important imho!

Absolutely. Those two guys certainly have.
    Spring and summer are riding a piebald mare. (Russian Proverb)

too cute frances!