Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here ride side saddle??

Talking Anyone here ride side saddle??

Heya was just wondering does anyone here ride side saddle ??
    I have started it and will be riding regular and was just wanting to know if there is anyone I can chat about it with

Its a wonderful sport and I am really enjoying it specailly with the support I am getting from the young lady I live with

I do, but havn't for a bit. My side saddle is put up at the moment. I need to lise some more weight!

i'd love to try - i'm saving up for some lessons

Oh nooooo I bet your not to heavy your just saying it I think you should get back in that saddle as they would say and show everyone what you can do can't wait to hear about when your riding sideways again

Their expensive lessons aren't they I am lucky enough to be living with a side saddle national junior competitor so I am lucky enough to have her support I am sure if your based near enough she would help you (: and she wouldn't charge the moon she's not like that at all (:

I have ridden side saddle before, but found it really uncomfortable! The cups on the saddle bruised my legs I did pop a jump in the side saddle too and all I can say is I seriously don't know how ladies hunted all day!

I really am not comfy sideways carrying the extra lbs.....sadly my horse is carrying too many lbs too so the saddle is a bit snug ATM
    I can only find this scruffy photo of us all messing about ATM.

Here's my saddle

Last edited by Wally; 04-10-2010 at 19:03.

Horsebird, you cannot just jump on side saddle and ride. You need to take time to adjust and build up the right sets of muscles. I take my hat off to you that you jumped fitst time.

The fact that you got bruised legs suggests to me that you were using the leaping and fixed head to hang on to. Okay, somtimes you do need to pad out the pommels to get a "bespoke" fit (unless you can really afford a truly made to measure one) But even so, you ought not to have becoem sore there, your back belly and leg muscles maybe!

I spent weeks re training myself after a 20 year break from SS. I spent ages in the school just building up stamina and my right muscle groups.........before throwing Frances off her horse and onto mine and felt balanced enough to go for a jolly good gallop again....on her horse!

You do need very strong core muscles to look good aside!...and good balance too.

It was very much a case of jump on and ride It was also a VERY old SS and didn't have any padding as I recall, and yes, as far as I remember I was gripping the cups for support. I was about 17 at the time - NO WAY would I get on side saddle now and go over a jump! (although it was a weeny cross pole) My YO at the time had got heavily into side saddle, and won a couple of championships, so the whole yard (including me) wanted a piece of the action However, we didn't get to use her cushy posh side saddle, but one she had that looked like it should be on the wall in a pub!

Look out for Wibble she is starting out side saddle.

We tried it at horsecamp really wasnt for me!! I have enough problems sitting astride lol

I had a side salad lesson and HATED it!!! Definitely not for me.