Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you do after the horse of a lifetime - just musing

Default what do you do after the horse of a lifetime - just musing

so, ruby & i have been to gether almost 7yrs & in that time she has become my perfect horse & she has trained me to be an almost adequate owner
    realistically, i know that at almost 21 her time with me is finite now & for the last 2 yrs i have been trying to buy the ruby replacement - a well documented exercise in danger/financial loss & general futilty
    so, do i see her as my last horse - particulalry as i am now almost 50 & may only have another 15 yrs of riding ahead of me - do i really want to be doing DIY livery in my 70s??
    i would love to hear your thoughts & experiences - particulalry those from the more mature who have moved on from their horse of a lifetime
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

'only' 15 years? Thats as long as I've been riding!

Maybe you won't ever replace Ruby, but maybe you could find another who you have fun with and still get plenty of enjoyment out of

i had mine 20 odd years (all his life) and he really was my best mate. When he went I had other horses to deal with which was probably a good thing as it kept me going, but I wouldnt have wanted to give up completely anyway, i wouldnt know what to do with myself.

I don't think you'll ever replace her. My last horse was my horse of a lifetime and I've come to the conclusion (after several other horses) that there will never be another 'him'. Instead, I use everything he taught me, and try to put it to good use with the horses I have now - sort of like his legacy

Don't give up altogether - and 50 is no age at all! My old RI is still running a livery yard and she's 68!

i am selfish and have a replacement horse lined up (if i dont have to sell her) as if i dont have horses when mac goes i know i will not go to the yard. there is a horse at my yard who is 34 and he reminds me everyday that there could still be alot of years left in mac and plenty of ridden years yet. i think its hard to replace the "one" but lke you said you have had ruby 7 years and in that time you have grown together, there may be another horse out there that might not seam to be the "one" at first but may develop into the "one".

anyway plenty years left in ruby so buy yourself a nice youngster to bond with, and my YO is 80 odd and could still give me a run for my money mucking out

Exactly HB, you cant really replace the ones you love, you can love others too though, and they can be special in different ways.

When i was sat with my lad waiting for 'arrangements' to be made I kept myself together by thinking about a foal Im a going to have next year if all goes well, not as a replacement as such, but hopefully will be another special horse

I found Holly....

Wasn't he beautiful

I got my first horse at 46 having started riding at 40. He was definitely the horse of a lifetime.
    I always presumed that when he went I would not get another horse just visit and talk to other peoples horses for them .
    I cried for a week when he went , at 22 but one morning I woke up with the sure knowledge that I was going to ride again and have another horse .

Now I am not normally into "another dimension" but I still think that Rambler sent the thought to me . A month later someone I didn't know rang to tell me about a horse that might suit me and when I saw him , a palomino, I just knew Rambler sent him . Rambler had a wicked sense of humour.

I have had him for 6 years now and although he has always been a super little chap it took me nearly 18months before I felt a really good bond with him.
    I don't think you can rush that bit. At first I did a bit of everything with him just because I thought I ought to ,now we do mostly hacking and Trec and weekends away and camps and I appreciate him for what he is, a great travelling companion.

My advice would be not to rush into getting a replacement now but trust the right horse will find you when the right time comes or even that Ruby will send one to you.
    My belief now is that once you have allowed a horse into your heart in such a major way the path remains open for another horse to come right in .

A member of our RC has just got a new horse at 75 not DIY but she's still riding and thats the important thing for her.
    My advice is not to waste these years with Ruby worrying about the future che sera ,sera.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling View Post
    My advice is not to waste these years with Ruby worrying about the future che sera ,sera.
    Absolutely. Enjoy every moment with her today and forget about 'what if's '.

Age wise, I'm just a couple of months on your tail. I also live with the knowledge that my bone tumour may come back and may not have two legs forever, but, what the heck, I'll still be riding as long as someone chucks me on board. I got a new horse last Feb and just got my 4 year old back for a year. My only thought for the future is that, if I wasn't able to keep them, then I need to ensure they are well rounded, easy horses who will have a choice of potential buyers if needed.
    I lost my 'forever' horse, the love of my life nearly 6 years ago,I still think about her often, still shed tears for her and feel robbed of the old age we were to share together.
    HB is right, those special horses leave a legacy, a gift of knowing the magic of a relationship with a horse that those who have never known it, could never begin to imagine. My horses now, are all incredibly special, I love them all for different reasons and because of the relationship with my 'horse of a lifetime' I have been able to stay the course and believe in them when things were seemingly impossible.Its not a case of 'despite' life after a special horse, but because of it.
    Spring and summer are riding a piebald mare. (Russian Proverb)

i lost my wee soulmate two years ago..never ever could i have another bond like that, but along came this mare that was virtualy pushed on me through pressure and friendship..i really didnt want her but gave in, she was the total opposite of my sweet little 14.2 bright bay mare..here was 16.1, donkey eared, roman nosed dark bay ill natured mare!..yea that was two years ago..shes really a lovely old fashioned type type hunter handsome mare with a quick intellegance and a lovely nature..and yes i love her, shes not scarlet. never will be but i love her for being nell..and theres a certain young cob colt that i aquired that has stole my heart a bit to..so much so that nell is now in foal to him and due in april...i still ride and im looking forward to backing shamus next year to..im 54, and im still kickin butt..loads of years left to enjoy girl