Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you do after the horse of a lifetime - just musing

I was 'forced' to find a 'replacement' for my pony of a lifetime.

He was retired early and through my buying & sellnig i hoped to find a replacement. After a while i realise i could never replace him, there would never be another pony like him for me. I'm lucky in that i still have him as a field ornament though.

BUT I did find a pony that made me feel almost like Jack does. Right from a foal i knew Alfie was my next 'forever' pony. He will never replace Jack, but my god, he fills a huge void i had! When i retired Jack i thought my world had ended because he was pretty young still.
    Native pony addict!

I dont feel I can ever replace Lily, she was no angel but I watched her be born, I split the bag and gave her air.....my angel R.I.P my beautiful girl

i thought currumba was my horse of a lifetime... then i found HRH i now think she is my horse of a lifetime - but i'm sure once she goes i'll find another they'll all be different but they'll all be as special

Go on with you - what on earth would be wrong with still doing DIY at 70?? It will keep you young!

I don't think you ever replace your horse of a lifetime, but your heart will always make a bit of room to love another that has that 'something' about them.

Dandea really is my horse of a lifetime and I can't even think what I would do without her - it would be just as bad as losing my OH. I have cheated a bit though and I have her daughter, now a yearling, who will eventually become my riding horse just in case D ever needs retiring.

Have you ever thought that the fact that you have spent time till one horse gets as close as that and as precious, that your skills are transferable and, given time, you could do the same with another horse?

My 'heart' horse was a RS mare I hacked, often several times a week, over many years in my sixties. I felt so good on her and she became so responsive, it prevented me buying one of my own.
    So it surprised me, when I began to share another horse, (early seventies now) to find my share horse gradually becoming just as quick and responsive to ride. So I had two to choose between - different character and good for different things, of course.

Two things seem vital. First, the time you devote to a particular horse. If you give as much time to your next horse as to your present one, the outcome may well be as good.

The other is the thought we put into showing the horse what we want of it, and how we ride. If we like a horse very much we tend to think about it more? So riding a new, not so favourite horse, we might tend to assume it wasn't so good - whereas what isn't so good is the quality of our attention, our input as rider?

My present thinking is that the success of a current relationship with a favourite horse isn't a barrier to repeating it, but proof you can do it again.

I don't know about d.i.y livery over 70. Surely that depends on your health? I decided after a bit that grooming and tacking up made me too weary to ride really, really well - better to concentrate on riding while I am fresh and groom afterwards.

It is a great surprise

Skib , what a thoughtful post .
    I agree with you completely , I keep saying how lucky I was to have found two wonderful horses in one lifetime but maybe it was because I found that amazing connection with my first chap I knew to keep at it with my second until the relationship developed.

I have had two horses of a life time. Clava was my love, I had her from 3 rys old till 23 when she broke her leg in the field, but by then I already had Rosie who my mum bred and I had her until she was 22 (pts earlier this year, internal tumour). So now I have Belle who is 10 but already I am thinking of my next horse which is why I bought a haflinger foal so in the future, when I'm nearly 60, I have something smaller to get on.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

I lost my horse, well pony of a lifetime about 5 years ago and had a few since (not intentionally just things not worked out for one reason or another) I put up with and made do with the horse i bought straight after his death (think rebound buy!) and still have him tho as i love him and feel very responsible for him but he's out on loan now.
    I started work at a little racing yard on weekends to fund my own horse and eventually became full time- At which point a huge scruffy and at the time i thought ugly horse was produced from a back field and i was told it was the "wifes old horse" and needed bringing into work........horror!!
    Fast forward a few years the huge scruff bag is smartly clipped stood in my stable and i absolutely worship the ground he walks on and think he's absolutely beautiful!

What im trying to say is dont try too hard and dont worry about it- sometimes the best ones just appear and find us!
    Wanted 6'6 turnouts for bit of a rug ripper so cheaper rather than quality is best!

OMG - this is an old thread - just made me realise how much i miss Skib always such a thoughtful poster
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

You must 50 now Cathi

I'm almost there, just a few more months!

Ben is 21 now, I can't ever imagine getting another like him and tbh I don't want to, I think I will just go and ride other peoples horses Maybe I will get time to do some other things too!