Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what do you do after the horse of a lifetime - just musing

I'm a year behind you Ange, it creeps up on you quickly, doesn't it!?

My little horse might have a good 15-20 ridden years ahead of him...eek!

K was my boy and if I had managed to find him a little earlier in his life we would have conquered the world

Ill be looking for my next one in the next few years and being honest that one will be my lifetime horse, Ill be nearly 30 and if it lives like K did Ill be nearing you guys in age by the time it hits its 20's and ill probably be looking at this kind of situation not sure what to do.

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

How nice of you to miss me, Ruby's Mum - I wasnt feeling good about posting on forums these days.

Up date is that beloved share horse and me now total 97 years between us - and are hoping to reach 100.
    We have been paired together for our mutual enjoyment by a beneficent owner/RI who isnt convinced we will make it - horsey isnt always well - But we take our rides a day at a time.
    Meanwhile, like some of the OPs - thought I had forgotten how to ride - at least couldnt ride any other horse.
    But RI put me on another horse last week - said riding was a bit like riding a bike - my riding had probably got automatic, something you no longer needed to think out. And yes, that did seem true - that when my familiar horse was out of action, I didnt completely lose the ability to ride another.
    However, I have a new theory now: that as long as one's old favourite is around one doesnt replace them in one's heart - only after that life cycle is complete, one's instinct kicks in and one can discover a new special horse.

skib - how lovely to hear from you & as always such a thoughtful post
    i am now dealing with finding a replacement for big Rubes - littleLilly pone simply doesnt have her scale of character or generosity of spirit - but is sweet & a good gap filler
    i know that the next horse will come along at the right time
    my new fiction blog -feel free to share/critique/laugh like a drain at

http://rubiesandduels.wordpress.com/

Like anything in life its when you don't expect it RM, so keep those doors open and you never know what comes along

There are always good and bad days.

I was not at the time looking for another more thinking about it and chatting about poss looking for something and considering things when I was offered Tilly, and she has firmly wedged herself in that Doone shaped hole that was left. She'll never be him, no horse will be but she brings me the same hope and passion, and I've never felt as at home as quickly on a horse as I have on her and Doone (I take that to be a nice sign)...... and the other day after riding she was sweaty and sticky and she actually smelt like him .

I completely agree with Skibs last sentence. (which is why nothing comes to Scoobles)

Oh how I miss you, my symphony, played the song that carried you out.

Its a tough question but this is my experience of it. I bought my horse of a lifetime when I was 50. It was love at first sight and we were inseparable. After nearly 6 years I had to have him pts. I knew it was going to happen and the terror of this looming and the thought of being without him but also without a horse at all sent me out horse-hunting.

I bought with my head. I knew the type that would be good for me and I bought her.

He died and she meant nothing to me. For 5 months she meant nothing to me and I wouldn't have cared if she had been sold on. She was nice to ride and she loved me and occasionally I would think she was sweet and kind of liked her. I liked caring for her and having a horse in my life and she is interesting.

It is now 7 months on and I feel she is "my horse" and I like her a lot but I don't love her like I loved my boy. I know she is a good horse for me and I am glad that I bought her. In a way I am glad that I don't have the same sort of love for her that I had for him because it is far far too hard when you lose it. I couldn't go through that again.