Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people have done it alone?

Default How many people have done it alone?

I dont want to start any arguments here but would be interesting to see how many people backed their horse on their own, or any horse on their own.

By on your own i mean with some help of an RI or experienced person but they're not always there

How experienced were you when you did it? How is the horse now?

Feel free to read my diary for my details but I'll summarise

I was 14. Hadn't ridden for about 2 years. Experience was poor if I'm being honest.

The actual backing process was fine. Phil never reacted in a bad way. It was the cantering and schooling I couldn't do. Cantering was a mixture of things. He spooked and I came off twice in 10 minutes hence not cantering him as routine riding until he was 8 But that wasn't his fault, that was my confidence. He proved that because he had strange people get on and canter him like he'd been doing it all his life.

As for now. we're behind with everything. He's happy and healthy so I suppose that's what counts. I do wish i could take back the time and try again though

Id love to do it but dont have the time,

Once Im working PT i'll definetly be thinking of getting a youngster
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Minstrel, I backed him and broke him etc just with some help from my Dad. Ted will be the first I break on my own properly without my Dad. He used to back a lot I have kept Min 10 years and although he is not easy its not because of the way he was backed he is lovely to ride it is his personality that makes him difficult He can be ridden from your voice and from your seat, responsive to your hands and overly responsive over legs, can throw in excitement bucks and the odd nap but nothing overly serious and I pop spurs on give him a little poke and he moves off again. I am proud of what I have achieved with him and how fantastic he really is
    I was 12 at the time. 10 years later I am backing again

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

Me I guess. Although I'm doing it at the moment.

I have helpers as and when I can although I have three different helpers so its normally a different person each day. Darcy went through a phase of being terrible but we have got through that and she has been brilliant the last few weeks . Fingers crossed she will be good in the future.

I am fairly experienced. I backed Kali myself with the help of a few friends for the first couple of weeks and she is perfect works beautifully, is safe but forward going and not spooky at all. Darcy is however the first one I have had since a proper baby. When I got Kali she had already been taught to lunge etc so she was literally ready to back.

'Like' my Facebook page for offers and more information! http://www.facebook.com/PollyGodsafeMcTimoneyEssex

I plan to do it eventually with next years youngster, but with weekly lessons and wouldn't hesitate to let a proffesional take over if things didn't go too well. Think a lot depends on the horse.

me, ive always backed my own horses

Me too..... I have backed my last 5 youngsters on my own

Lost count....

I've done a few on my own but I've also been the jockey for a couple of pro's in the past as I'm light enough to do small ponies.