Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many people have done it alone?

I backed my own horse. Wally was there every step of the way giving out guidance and gin!

I backed Harley by myself. Well, I got my mum to hold him, but other than that, on my lonesome.

I was (and still am!) a novice. I got Harley when he was 4 and I was 16. He was only half-alive and quite wild. He was "dangerous" and you could just about headcollar and lead him. The poor lad was so down (because he'd been severely ill, the vet was amazed he lived) and it breaks my heart to think of him like that.
    But I wanted him - it was either I had him, or he was sold to someone else who'd do who-knows-what with him, not necessarily knowing his past inside-out.
    Once he'd recovered and brightened up, I started on the bridle, saddle, roller, long-lining, leaning over, and then the backing. I didn't have professional help (though had the option if I really wanted it) but selfishly did it all myself. It was a stupid thing to do - it's worked out fine, but it might not have done, given my inexperience.
    We've progressed very slowly, only just starting to work in an outline, but I don't care - we'll get to whatever level at whatever time, as long as we enjoy ourselves too. I've had issues with him as he's as stubborn and spirited as anything, but our personalities match perfectly, and we've worked through so much.

THE CHRISTMAS POLICE