Thread: Bosal anyone?

Default Bosal anyone?

Does anyone have a Bosal I could borrow/steal/buy for my Criollo. He has been spoiled mouthwise and I hae been advised to try a bosal. I am fumbling in the dark as I don't know much (anything) about fitting. I tried a friend's bosal but she has a paso-fino and the nose bit had a leather strap underneath with rings on which I don't think is what I need. My boy does neck rein and his stop is established - most of the time! Any advice welcome, please...

What sort of bosal are you looking for? The paso fino style one is meant to have the reins attached under the chin as you describe.

If you want to see if one works, why not ride in a headcollar a few times? I've got a rope bitless bridle (english sidepull style) which is the closest to a bosal I found easily here.

If you can find a pic of the sort of thing you want that might help?

p.s. whereabouts are you?

Thank you, I am in Wiltshire. Have managed to borrow one for a couple of months, it's just the ticket. I have managed to track one down for sale but it's hideously expensive!

I think I'd advise against using a bosal unless you have someone who can help you fit it. A poor fitting bosal can do a little of damage to a horse's face.

The one I borrowed is from my Western trainer who fitted it and gave me very specific instructions on how to use it. I can see how if badly fitted it could be horrible, but I think we will be ok. I will only use it in the school as a transitionary thing until he listens more to weight/seat aids. He has been getting his tongue over the bit when excited or pressured - do you have any remedies for this?

Ah, as long as you've got someone fitting it and teaching you, you should be fine.

The only remedies I could suggest for tongue over the bit would be different mouthpieces. What was he in prior to the bosal?

He came over from Argentina last year, gaucho broken and sold to me with a Myler western bit (small port and moving mouthpiece), I have taken him back a step and normally ride in a Myler snaffle in an effort to teach him directional aids. It's fine and he is quiet with his head until either stressed or excited then out comes his tongue and he wafts his head all over the shop. Very frustrating as at home his schooling is calm and obedient and I can believe he is being 'willingly guided', we go to a show and it all goes to pieces and I worry about him doing a Jeckyll and Hyde whilst hacking. I also have a peewee which was a disaster, he rolled up his tongue behind it and just yawed against it.

I think I'd focus more on avoiding the stressed reaction then. All of ours go in short shank single jointed curb bits (Tom Thumb bits). Whiskey's is a copper roller mouth piece, because he's always been fussy about the mouthpiece and it encourages him to mouth the bit a little to stay soft through his jaw. If you can encourage him to be more settled, then that should eliminate the behaviour. That said, the bosal could be a really good solution in the short term. If he can't get his tongue over the non-existent bit, he might settle. If on the other hand, he's truly stressed out, he might just find a new way to release his displeasure.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I think I'd focus more on avoiding the stressed reaction then. All of ours go in short shank single jointed curb bits (Tom Thumb bits). Whiskey's is a copper roller mouth piece, because he's always been fussy about the mouthpiece and it encourages him to mouth the bit a little to stay soft through his jaw. If you can encourage him to be more settled, then that should eliminate the behaviour. That said, the bosal could be a really good solution in the short term. If he can't get his tongue over the non-existent bit, he might settle. If on the other hand, he's truly stressed out, he might just find a new way to release his displeasure.
    Ooh heck....better not get him stressed in the bosal then!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Biddy View Post
    Ooh heck....better not get him stressed in the bosal then!!
    Hi Old Biddy,

Have you managed to get your problems solved yet? If not give me a call or email and I would be more then happy to give you some useful advise if needed.