Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arab Jumping.

Default Arab Jumping.

Took my lad CR Jumping a few weeks ago. Just for fun, mainly beacuse he loves it (Jumping is not my forte, it mainly terrifies me). He is a bit of a pain to jump although from the pics you can clearly see he enjoys it. He makes an awful shape over them, neck all craned and legs all dangly and none of that is helped by the fact that however hard I try, he very rarely enters the jump straight (even my friend, a SJ instructor watched and said it wasn't my riding it was him.)
    Please don't critic me too much. I know my position is awful, like I said, jumping isn't my thing.

Here's the pics.

Warming up.

Practise fences.

In the ring.

Excuse the hands and expression in this one. This was the first fence, he backed off and stopped about 4 strides off, so we jumped it from a standstill. LOL.

Left behind

Double part one.

Part two.

I wish someone had told him that Pure bred arabs weren't built for jumping. LOL.

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears".
    -Arabian Proverb

He looks lovely! Bit of gridwork will have him snapping his feet up - it got better as the pics went on

He's gorgeous! Deffo looks a bit suspicious of the intentions of those poles though Petal boots confused me for a minute though

http://pheme.posterous.com/ >>>> stalk me if you want, it's not terribly interesting though!

Official PRESIDENT of the TO 'Blue Peter Badge Owners' Clique

I wish I looked that good when jumping wasn't really my 'thing' He's gorgeous, but doesn't look an easy ride!

He is gorgeous
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Beautiful boy.

oh he is lovely
    honey also dangles - just see my siggy but what she looses in dangles she makes up in scope
    jumping 1.05 in lessons and my RI laughs saying she gives it about 1ft 6 inches clearance of her body everytime we;'ve tried many grids but its just her style working on it again this winter though in lessons

He looks like he's really enjoying it, dead keen I love how he really lowers his head over some of those jumps.

I have a dangly legged horse too, but he's far worse than yours! V-poles scared him a bit (he'd either leap them from the end of the poles or just stop) so we did lots of work with high crosspoles - pole ends on the top of the wings to really funnel him into the middle so kept him straight and made him jump a bit neater. It's improved him alot, although there's still a lot to be doing! Another thing that might help with keeping him straight is teaching him how to do simple pirouettes in a walk, depends what he's doing though - Wilby used to sort of jackknife and become all crooked in the middle, but the pirouettes have really helped him 'get' how to straighten himself out, which has improved his technique

Thanks for the lovely comments and advise.
    We have tried everything to make him jump straight. Grid work, he's not too bad at, but still dithers, and end up trying to jump the wings, V poles, he just takes off from further away, and deep x poles he tend to try and jump the highest part. Maybe he's trying to tell me he wants to jump bigger. LOL.
    he's terrible though, he always aims himself at the wing. he approaches straight, but then as you get on top of the jump, his direction shifts to the nearside wing, I thought it was me throwing him off balance, so my RI had me over exagerating extra weight on the offside, as though we were going to land and jump the next fence in that direction, and he still heads for the near side wing. SHe has come to conclusion that its just him, and that is how he's comfortable jumping, and I will just have to try and ride them out.
    Like I said though, we're not competetive with jumping, so I'm not too worried, we mainly stick to clear rounds, just for a bit of fun, and a break from showing.

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears".
    -Arabian Proverb