Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***youngsters*** how did you do your first hack??

Default ***youngsters*** how did you do your first hack??

Just breaking in Billy at the moment, and minus some relunctant to walk forward issues he's doing ok, brillant to long rein , very comftable with being sat on and jumping off.
    so once he's happy with walking in the school, he will be going out for a hack with his friend...

but i was wondering how you lot did it , and wether it was successful or scary!!
    For sale - Endurance irons - 17.5 treeless saddle used once with pad and stirrups, and hunters martingale full / xfull pm for details

Just went for it

Is it possible to take him out on the route inhand a few times before? Just so he gets used to new surroundings

When i did it with Bodi i just let her walk where she wanted if she wanted in front for a bit i let her and the same for behind.

i just got on and rode, my first proper ride on rhana was about the 4th time i had been on her and i hacked her out.. she and i were both chilled and happy.. mare in a million she was, RIP..

he's walked in hand and long reined most weekends so is familar with the area, and i will be hacking down one of the ways we have been quite a lot...

so no worries there !!

its just actually getting the confidence together to go "right todays the day..."
    For sale - Endurance irons - 17.5 treeless saddle used once with pad and stirrups, and hunters martingale full / xfull pm for details

it will be fine.. i did maje too, he was more complicated but at the end of the day, u build a bond with ur horse and use it to ur advantage and give confidence back to ur horse.. be brave

lol ... watch this space!!! it will be done.. im giving myself the target of in the next 4 weeks to have "hacked" - in training terms this will propably be a 20 min walk with a friend... and then moving on from there ......

I just went as well! I started out in hand and then scrambled on and rode home and it was brilliant! On a busy road, blind bend too (no choice)!

I just did it too!

Was only the third time she was ridden was I was having issues getting her going forwards in the menage and knew that she walked out in hand well so decided just to get on with it.

First time was just round an empty field, second was on the road, then over a period of about 2/3 weeks I got her happily hacking over a bridge over the M25 with 8 lanes of traffic below her!

'Like' my Facebook page for offers and more information! http://www.facebook.com/PollyGodsafeMcTimoneyEssex

i went out with soot and lucy on appley it was a bit of a non-event as appley had been longreined out on the same tracks by herself a million times before, anyway, so she really wasn't worried this was about the 3rd time she'd ever been sat on.

we didnt plan a day with murphy - just waited for the day i went 'we're going for a hack' and made my friend come with me