Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ***youngsters*** how did you do your first hack??

Get someone to walk next to you for the first few times so if he needs some encouragement they can help, and I would advise not to hack him out with other horses first as I did this with my old pony and when she came to being hacked out on her own she was awful!

happily hacking over a bridge over the M25 with 8 lanes of traffic below her!
    I couldn't do that, I have an irrational fear that the horse will jump off the bridge...

If he is going out OK in hand, I would just go for it providing you are not on any busy roads. If you lose your confidence or things get a bit hairy, then simply jump off and lead. There is no shame. It would be helpful if you could get a willing OH/friend to walk out with you on foot if you have no horsey hacking partners

Good luck!!!

Kaiser's been backed a week, and as sooooon as all this ice goes, i'll just go out the gates and down the bridle way. Hopefully he will go without a backwards glance

I can't wait, good luck!

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain."

we did our first very short hack! and he's a bit too happy with his back legs..... so he's gone to be proffessionally broken... now what do i do with myself with all my newly found free time during the week!!!
    For sale - Endurance irons - 17.5 treeless saddle used once with pad and stirrups, and hunters martingale full / xfull pm for details