Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help please

If she is evading by dropping behind the bit you still need to apply a bit of leg presure to push her forwards back onto it. Then use your body to slow her. Bring your shoulders back as Kirsty said, think heavy and slow thoughts (it works!) breathe out and try to slow your body movement. Some horses are trained to slow by a knee squeeze as well. Without tightening your leg and gripping with your thigh just close your knee on and release it as you half halt. Try to keep your weight over the back of the saddle as well (this should happen as you bring your shoulders back).

Another thing to try to do is to relax your hand and arm. You might be tensing whilst trying to slow her. Try to keep all of you as relaxed as possible. This can be hard. When my girl goes into one I really have to think relax and give and take on the reins as if I pull we end up in a gallop around the school!

Unfortunately without seeing you it's hard to say what will work and it's going to be trial and error until you find out what works but once you get there it will feel fab! Keep on trying

(Just read back what I wrote and my English was awful. I do apologise! )

Slowing your rising and relaxing will help in walk and ditto what the others said

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

Hi all,

Gosh so much good advice here, really thank you all so much for taking the time, I wish I could reply to each and every one of you but I have sat and read through all the replies (trying to store all this info in my sieve-brain is the hard bit!!)

Today I had my lesson, mounted up and she is normally very quiet and stands beautifully but she wanted to walk off.. I asked her to stand and she didn't! I thought 'right' not having this miss, you will bloomin' stand' and she did!
    I don't think she's naughty I think it's me giving her confused signals, so for the rest of the lesson I made sure I sat deep and back in the saddle (I tend to lean forward a bit, stupid annoying habit) and asked her as clearly as I could to stop. My instructor encourages me to say "stand" to back up my aids and this also helps. Anyway, she was fine for the duration of the lesson and we did some kind of half turn on the forehand exercises as a break to trotting, and she stopped where I wanted her to every time so I was pleased with that.

Having said that, today I really felt like the worlds most pants rider as we are working on lots of trotting and whilst I can keep her trotting no problem, I can't seem to get her to speed up to a fast trot with my leg aids. grrrr!! ah well something else to work on, that's what it's all about eh :-)

Off to the final day of Olympia tomorrow, so I shall see how it should be done lol

Big thanks again xx

Just one thing! If your a beginner paying for lessons if there is EVER even the tiniest problem ask your instructor, its what your paying him or her for!.
    This forum is great for ideas and advice but first off you must be able to talk to your instructor and if you feel you cant or she is not good at explaining things maybe you could try someone else?
    Sorry i didnt read all the replies but its the first thing i thought of when i read your question- good luck with the learning, your soooo lucky your o/h is doing it with you. I would love mine to be interested!
    Wanted 6'6 turnouts for bit of a rug ripper so cheaper rather than quality is best!

Glad you had a good lesson but agree that your instructor should be able to tell you and show you what and how to do it. If not then it might be worth looking at a few other places to have lessons?

I was at Olympia Friday and Monday and it was fab!

Yes this is very true harlequin and IPindy, it's honestly not my instructor though, she is fab and the best i've had. I had a bad experience at the last riding school I went to, really awful staff member put me off a bit, but with this school we never feel like a number and she is good at helping, i'm just not good at asking : ( but i'm going to promise myself I will ask more, it's just in here there's so much advice so I thought i'd see if anyone else had this experience. My RI is also aware of my nervous issue which she had not been pushing much, but she has now begun to get a little bit more firm with me which is exactly what I need tbh, she somehow manages to do it in a really nice way whilst making me sit up and think 'i've got to do this or i'll not progress!'

IPindy, Olympia was so fab! glad you enjoyed it too, will be going again next year for sure! bought my OH his first ever riding crop (as he uses one in the school) he's made up about it, so funny!

Thanks again xx

I won't list what I bought! It's not Christmas until I've been to Olympia!