Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding One Handed?

Default Riding One Handed?

I was recently diagnosed with Periarthritis, also known as ‘Frozen Shoulder’ or adhesive capsulitis. I have been told that it will most likely resolve within 6-12 months. However, my mum has had this almost non-stop for the last five years so I have to wonder if it will get completely better within 6 months. I have been told I need to rest my arm as much as possible and not do anything that makes it hurt.

Of course I have no intention of letting this keep me off my horse. So I plan to ride one handed. So my question is does anyone else on here ride with one hand and if so do you find yourself able to do everything?

I was also wondering if PC/ARC would stop me from riding. I'm not sure if there are any rules about this.

I have done a lot of Natural horsemanship and some western riding so I know I can ride one handed but I have never tried it while jumping or doing dressage.

Some photos would be great too.

i used to ride all the polo ponies - and play them - one handed
    and think of western - that's one handed
    your horse needs to understand neck reining - then you should be able to do all that you can 2 handed

I don't but these guys do:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5895K-Xjupk

And the slightly less exciting (imho) dresssage:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxo1LL8xZow

So I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. (they don't neck rein either as far as I'm aware it's all from the seat and legs)

That grey in the first video is LUSH

ooh i hunted the odd polo pony and still neck reined etc and that was over warks hedges - so 5ft+ and wide as they come

That's good to know. I guess I know it can be done I just need to change the way I ride. I have done western riding. I even rode a stallion for a stud in local competitions for a while but I have never done it english style. I also would like to still be able to compete but not sure if that will be possible. Do they have specific rules in Eventing/showjumping/dressage that say you must have both hands on the reins? I was thinking Dressage is the most likely to have such a rule but they might just mark me down rather than not let me compete.

It's not really going to be an issue for a few months anyway since I am currently overseas studying. But will be back home in March and can't wait to start riding again two arms or just one.

You need to be able to ride one-handed hacking anyway so you can indicate (I generally start turning before I take back both reins), if your horse understands these it shouldn't take too much to get it perfect

There is someone at our local dressage venue that competes with no hands (has very short arms and no actual hands so has adapted length reins), and a partially sighted person that competes with some assistance. This is unaff dressage but run to BD rules - and high standard, so I am sure that you can - just might depend on the venue as to how flexible they are. The compete in the ordinary class, is not RDA or anything and no concessions made for them, so can't see why you can't ride with one rein as long as tack conforms to rules.

Hopefully someone can shed some more light on it for you

I like riding 1-handed, I always hack like it and don't realise I am!

I think the best thing to do, is check with show secretarys before you go? Won't hurt
    Native pony addict!

I ride one handed in general with Forest, if I need more clarity for schooling then I have two.
    But he rides into an outline, turns and stops brilliantly with one hand as well.
    If I trusted him more jumping then I would ride with one hand, but he tends to misbehave so I use both.

I don't go to shows anymore, but when I did, I used one hand until I got in the ring, then 2 hands while I did my jumping round, then one to cool down again
    RIP Forest,always in my heart.I can never forget the times we had together. Run free.I'll see you again one day