Thread: Lessee seems to think she owns my horse.

Default Ummm... that's my horse.

I was just going through a different horse forum looking at the posts of the girl who has leased my mini. I like to see what she posts so I can keep up with how my horses is without pestering her with a million emails asking for updates. And I know she knows I look at that forum because I have comments on her posts before.

So I came across a six month old thread. In it she talks about not having enough room to keep all her horses. A friend then suggests she sell the Mini (My mini).

I was expecting some sort of reply along the lines of "I could but she's not mine." But instead she says. "Yes I guess I could sell her, but I haven't decided what to do yet."

There is also another post about possibly putting the mini in foal after she has been broken and been to a few shows. Now I know for a fact I would be pretty upset if I found out after the fact that my mini was pregnant.

It's now six months on and I know my pony hasn't been sold on but still. I found it a little strange. I also think that a lot of people think thing that they would never do. And she would probably ask if she wanted to put her in foal but I'm also contemplating saying something. Seems a little late tho considering it's a six month old post.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Waikato_Valuta; 10-12-2010 at 17:34.

That is definitely a little weird. I'm hoping you've got a loan agreement? And if you don't want her being used as a broodmare you need to put that into the loan agreement too

very odd

Yes we have a loan agreement. Nothing about being used as a broody but I didn't think that was needed. I can't remember the exact wording off the top of my head but I think I listed the activities that she was allowed to be used for, but I didn't specify what she couldn't be used for. Nothing she has said to me indicates that she would try to sell or breed her. In fact I remember talking to her about breeding when she agreed to take her. I said I might put her in foal later but that she was too young now and she agreed with me. The pony was rising three at the time and I tend to thin a filly should not be breed until she had finished growing physically and mentally. 5 at the youngest but probably more like 6-7.

I think perhaps she said it because I did say I would consider selling her at the end of the lease. I guess she might just be looking ahead. I probably shouldn't read too much into it.

I'd make sure your loan agreement is watertight and very clear, if it isn't, ask her to sign an updated one.

Alarm bells would ring for me if she is posting about not having enough room? Are you happy with how she is being kept? I'd probably make a few unanounced visits too - just to be sure!

I have done a surprise visit. Not because I was worried but because I was in the area. The horses are all very happy and healthy looking. My pony was kept in a small paddock away from the others because she gets too fat. The paddock is not over crowded and all the manure had been picked up. I think she mentions having too many horses because one had an injury and would be out of work for a few months maybe a year and she wanted to get another riding horse in the meantime but didn't think she had room. Which I think was very responsible of her given she could put more horses on there but she has set a good limit and is sticking to it.

She sounds young, is she? I'd probably not take it too literally, probably a bit of showing off. It would irritate me though!

then maybe leave it for now if you think everythng is ok, but maybe keep an eye on her subsequent posts and if anything similar crops up again, comment with, eg. 'as we discussed as part of the lease/loan agreement, she isnt going to be put in foal anytime soon ' or 'my dear, you would have to buy her from me first, before you need to think of selling her '
    Purely so its out there that she doesnt in fact own the pony, and have the right to sell it, if you know what i mean?

It does sound like she is young. I used to say "my horse" to non-horse people when I was partboarding because it was easier to say than to explain what a partboard was.

I would make sure that all of your I's are dotted and t's crossed on the agreement just to be sure.

It reminds me of a situation I was put in before moving here. I was looking for a leaser for my horse and found one through my good friend. I thought it would be really great until they started acting like I was selling my horse to them?! They said I would have full privileges to come see and ride him when I came home (already had worked into an agreement) but then they said when I come home for good, I would still have those privileges. Umm...??? My horse and if/when I come home for good, he is coming back to me. They kept going on about things as if THEY owned him and I was selling him to them!! They said that they would be willing to let me show him (umm not their decision - I own him!!). It irked me enough to find another leaser because they didn't seem to understand the concept of a lease.