Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Right ponder...

Default Right ponder...

Ok here a shot across the bows lol!!!

Breeding Eowyn?? Should I??? Eithically??? Shes well put together, a good mover, great scope.

I would want to put her to a welshy D stally but what would you all suggest IF I should do it.

Also reasons against please Its been going round in my head due to recent injuries!!!

Nikki xxx

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Would you be keeping the foal forever? If so, and you can afford it, then yes why not. I only say that as there are so many unwanted horses out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellymoo View Post
    I only say that as there are so many unwanted horses out there.

its sad that theres so many unwanted foalys about

i had to convice my friend not to breed her pony (not well put together, has not proven herself to be great at anything other than a ridden pony..) but she thought all that was ok because the welsh d stallion had a good blood line which she no's nothing about

if you plan on keeping the foal and can afford it then its your call.

It's expensive but if you're planning on keeping them both, then I guess there's no reason why you shouldn't... Her soundness problems aren't genetic are they?

Besides, Welsh Xs are the best But on the other hand, you could go out to ireland or somewhere and get yourself a nice young ISH for less than it would probably cost to breed and raise a babypony?

Pennal the great he is yummy

Quote Originally Posted by Aimie View Post
    Pennal the great he is yummy
    Agreed!
    I'm going to be putting my mare in foal this year (hopefully ), so have been asking myself questions to finalise the decision e.g.
    Can I afford stud fees, swabbing, microchipping, vaccinations and foal registration?
    Will I be able to keep the foal? ( Again considering the amount of unwanted foals)
    Do I have experienced folk to give me advice etc. with pregnant mare and when foal is born?
    Can I afford to keep another pony?
    Do I have suitable facilities? e.g. stabling if mare was inside prior to foal, seperate fields/stabling for weaning

And do feel free to post about lovely Sec D stallions for us to perv on

See this is the thing to breed my own is what I have wanted to do for years since i got Megan my TB. shes long gone to be a mum herself years ago as she knackered her legs in an accident.

Now I am honestly against breeding when i could go to the sales and pick up a pure bred welsh D for less than 500 quid fully papered with good bloodlines. So yes it would be for me, yes its something I have WANTED FOR YEARS but is it ethically, with the state the horse market is in, the right thing to even be considering???

opinions

Nikki xxx

ETA - for talkings sake lol
    http://www.gubrachstud.co.uk/content...s Lord Jim</B>
    http://www.blairhorsetrials.co.uk/pennal.cfm
    Last edited by Black Beastie; 12-12-2010 at 16:33.

Ethics. Yes there are a lot of unwanted foals out there. But giving one a home won't sort that problem. But it would make a difference to the one horse you did buy. Would you be contributing to the problem? Well no, if you can guarentee foaly a home for life. BUT what happens if foaly doesn't turn out how you want? Have you considered the other side of things as well? I know it is unlikely but has to be considered... could you face risking losing mare and foal? Would you be as happy buying a weanling and bringing it on?

Also, playing devil's advocate here (not expressing my opinion), you say it is for you. But is it in Eoywn's best interests?

See this is it you see it everywhere I want to breed from my horse so that the foal is mines etc. You also see the good bloodlines bit and that fact that it has been a passion of the person and stuff but is that really a good reson for breeding???

What if I was to lose ym job or OH had to lose his or what if I fell pregnant whilst my horse was??? What would I do??? these are all things that prove to me that I shouldnt be doing it arent they???

And what about the argument that you should breed quality not quantity??? I mean if Eowyn was fully papered (shes not) and the stally was as well amd I guaranteed quality??

All relevant points H!!

Nikki xxx

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiG View Post
    What if I was to lose ym job or OH had to lose his or what if I fell pregnant whilst my horse was??? What would I do??? these are all things that prove to me that I shouldnt be doing it arent they???
    An important point to consider but... it's an argument that could be used against getting a horse full stop. What I mean is, although it is something that has to be considered, you would never do anything in life if you thought about all the what ifs. If you are secure in your job and there is no reason to doubt that in the immediate future then that would be enough for me to think ok that's fine. Sure you have to plan ahead with things like this and be sensible about it but you cannot control or predict the future. If the worst happened you would just have to deal with it at the time.

On your last point, I believe when it comes to breeding nothing can be guarenteed. However, you give yourself a better chance if you breed from quality stock I guess.