Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Right ponder...

PS. I always find it a bit .... odd I guess... that people are so passionate about the fact people should not breed from their own horses because of the number of unwanted horses out there. Yet often the same people will buy from a dog breeder without any issue, despite the fact there are thousands of unwanted dogs out there, many being PTS because it is that big a problem. Random point but just an observation I've made. I don't know what it is about horses that makes perspectives so different?

Quote Originally Posted by hullabaloo View Post
    PS. I always find it a bit .... odd I guess... that people are so passionate about the fact people should not breed from their own horses because of the number of unwanted horses out there. Yet often the same people will buy from a dog breeder without any issue, despite the fact there are thousands of unwanted dogs out there, many being PTS because it is that big a problem. Random point but just an observation I've made. I don't know what it is about horses that makes perspectives so different?
    I ahve to say i agree with this. We have adopted two dogs from pounds/centres, but when we went to SSPCA to get another we were told that because we are a fulltime working household that we couldnt have one of their dogs

Went to a breeder handed over the money, answered some in depth questions and she called for regular updates and we have our pooch, sometimes its easier sometimes its not I suppose. I see your argument there. Its just all stuff that flits through your head isnt it?? I can afford the two (JUST) I have even if one of us hasnt got a wage coming in (thank god) but anymore wouldnt be so easy.

Nikki

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hullabaloo View Post
    I think part of the reason people think more seriously with horses is because its quite risky for the mare: there can be lots of complications with foaling, I think its something to do with the fact that horses contractions are EXTREMELY strong in order to allow them to give birth quickly in the wild, but it means you don't have much time if something goes wrong. As in, why put your mare/foal under that risk when there are loads of foals out there anyway?

Not sure what situation you are in withy Eowyn, is she your only riding horse? Because another big factor is that she'll be out of action for a year or so in terms of riding.

Breeding is NOT a cheap option - if you think about maybe £400 stud fees plus possibly stabling costs at the stud if you send your mare there to be served, maybe up to £1k vets bills including scans etc depending on how straightforward your pregnancy and birth is, plus the extra food for mare and foal before and after birth, you're looking at up to £2k of costs by the end which doesn't compare favourably with the price of buying a yearling from someone else!

And as you pointed out yourself, there's no guarantee of quality at all. I assume Eowyn doesn't have any other offspring, so you have no idea what she'll throw. A 15.2 mare on a friend's yard continually throws 17.2+ prodgeny even when bred with a 14.2 stallion and you'd never guess from looking at her.

Personally, I'd always choose to just buy a baby from someone else so you can see how it looks/moves and how its temperament is. Also I'd be cautious of the potential for losing my mare.

That said, as long as you're going to keep the foal I don't think its ethically wrong to breed one. Because if you were going to buy a yearling, presumably you'd by a good quality papered one which would be likely to find a good home anyway, it's not like you'd be taking a homeless waif off the street either way!

I often get confused by these posts when I read the answers. If every foal cost 2 grand to breed, or every mare had to be proven and have excellent bloodlines, then there would be no foals for Joe public! They would all be incredibly expensive well bred animals bred to compete.

I have bred for 3 years. The first year we used outside stallions and used our own stallion since. I have bred 7 foals now and only 2 have had alight complications. 1 couldn't stand for 1st 48 hours so mare had to be milked and bottle fed but all was fine once he unfolded. The other one did not we're properly so had to have a bladder scan and catheter inserted then all was fine. Nothing major that my experience and a good vet could spot. Others all foaled fine. All my experience is from reading lots of books and any advice I need from the hg forum. And common sense. I love the feeling of breeding and the sense of achievement and joy it gives. Currently in my stable is a 6 and half month filly out of my first ever horse and by my own stallion. Every time I look at her my heart swells with pride! I would not get that from a foal I had bought cheap at a sale! And don't get me wrong, I have those too, and I love them, but lola is special beyond words!

If you have the time and money, do it! If not, wait until you have! My mares confirmation is not perfect, but my stallion is spot on and the foal is too.

You need to take into account stud fee, but you don't necessarily have to go for the most expensive with a competition record as long as your arm. Pick an up and coming young boy.

Your mare will need a cem and maybe an Eva test. Then 2 scans.and a pre foaling tetanus. Then god willing no other expense until foal is born. Its up to you if you get a mare and foal check, depends on how birth went. Close monitoring is the key in order to catch anything early. Then you have regular worming and flu tet at 4 months. Then chipping and registering. None of which is massively expensive! Feed wise I don't feed any extra. They get alfa and a all round supplement, right up until birth. A week befor I introduce small amounts of stud feed and after baby is born I feed proper rations of stud feed initially. Then depending on time of year and grass etc, they just live off grass and absolutely thrive, with joints developing correctly.

You breeding your own foal won't solve the crisis of unwanted foals. Only the irresponsible breeders can do that!

One think I do firmly believe in though, is that you shouldn't breed unless you have money and facilities to keep it until its st an age where it can go on and do a job, just in case it won't sell. That's why I only have 1 in foal for next year as only room to keep 1 if they don't sell.

Sorry have rambled a bit!

On a different note, I like cheshmere flashman as a welch c
    FOR SALE - 15hh piebald cob gelding. stunning young man and reasonably priced.
    pm for details

Ethically, no.

It's your choice. I can't really pass judgement as I would love to breed Welsh Cobs at some point.

Someone has mentioned soundness problems - what problems has she had? Was it genetic, or an injury, is she still unsound or is it fully gone, does it have a chance of coming back/happening again? Sorry if I've missed this in other posts. Basically what I mean to say is that I wouldn't put a mare in foal if she had had problems that being pregnant could exacerbate. Bad legs, feet or back for example, I just wouldn't want to put her through it.

Personally I don't think it sounds like you would be "breeding for the sake of breeding", I think when someone has a lovely mare they care about it is only natural to dream of having a foal from her However I would still ask yourself if it is what you REALLY want for sure, or if it's just a sort of romantic imagining of how wonderful it would be to have a Mini Eowyn flitting around in your paddock I don't know what it is but from the tone of your posts I don't get the impression that you're entirely convinced it's really what you want to do...?

Not sure on this one! I know for certain, i wouldn't do it if i was on a livery yard, with all the costs and busy bodies.
    Native pony addict!

I don't think I would... It is something I have considered with Holly but decided against due to her only being registered as a partbred! I do want another youngster in the future so I will probably look at buying a Section D colt when I am ready.

From what I remember Eowyn has problems with injuries, rather than something that could be genetic (might be wrong though).
    I think it really depends on how much you want a homebred foal and how much you want to breed one from Eowyn. If those things are really important to you, and you´re aware of the risks/ time/ money involved, then I would say go for it, as it sounds like you´d be breeding to keep. If Lou were younger I would definitely breed from her when my degree is over, but she´ll be 19 by then and I don´t want to risk it. With her I´d have the advantage of knowing she´s had two foals before, both of whom I´ve met as adult horses, and that they´ve turned out really nicely

Eowyn has no soundness issues shes just a self harmer :P

I am thinking against it to be honest. I have Kia who is still VERY much in working order, in fact hes got a sharer to help with the work lol!!! I have Eowyn who is liots of fun and once i can get her back in work I am sure we can get her going properly.

Its something I MAY think of doing in the future once Kia starts to wind down but is still active enough to be ridden but I just think that right now wouldnt be a good time for me or her, although the year and a half out might give her the chance to stop self harming but then again lol

Plus I think Scott might kill me haha He hasnt seen this thread yet!!!

Nikki xxx

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.