Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Right ponder...

OK firstly I don't see a problem with it, yes there is far too much indiscriminate breeding going on but that isn't what you are proposing, you are wanting to breed from your mare for yourself and not for commercial reasons.

This means that you can choose a stallion for the right reasons who compliments your mare. You also then have the benefit of having a bond with the foal from day 1 and as your intention is that this will be a forever foal for you then that bond is something that money can't buy.

Now - costs and risks. I've had both of my mares in foal - one is a seasoned broodmare but the other was a maiden and all has been well. We've now had 2 foals from Danica and 1 foal from Dandea with Danica currently in foal again. Before I put either of them in foal I went to talks on AI and natural covering, talks on foaling - what can go wrong and what to do, these were invaluable. I also had help from a very experienced lady who has run a stud for 30 years. What I found out from all that was that yes, you hear the horror stories but less than 2% of equine births go wrong. In 99% of cases the foetus will only grow as big as the mare can cope with, the biggest problem is when the foal doesn't present correctly (but that can be dealt with without the need for a vet in most cases) or if a tiny part of the afterbirth is retained which then causes peritonitis. Common problems are when the mare doesn't cleanse and needs to be 'helped' (had that with both of mine).

On the costs side yes my foals were on the expensive side but that is due to the breed and the fact that because I was using stallions from Holland that it was AI rather than natural covering my foals had cost me 1800 by the time they were born. If you are going for natural covering then you are looking at your swabs (my last lot were 100 including call out) then scanning etc - if you use a reputable stud that offers a vet package for a set amount of cycles then I would recommend using that - this means that all your scans, wash outs and any injections will be covered, my local vet offers this package for 3 cycles for 400.

So - said foalie may end up costing you around 1k - yes you can buy a welsh D cheaper but you don't personally know the mare and you don't get the bond. After having done it myself now then I would always prefer to breed for myself than buy.

Sorry for the ramble!

Quote Originally Posted by madlady View Post
    Sorry for the ramble!
    Actually it's not a ramble. I personally have never dealt with the foaling side, yet I have always believed that having a foal for yourself and not for commercial reasons is not as hard as some people make it out to be. In terms of saying 'Oh it's so expensive... etc etc etc!'

I think for me, if I ever went into this it would be a huge learning process for me and I think it would be an enjoyable one ( worrying at times ). I think having the bond with the foal is priceless. Not only to see it grow up, and spend time with the foal and learn so much more about them ( and horses ) through their own eyes (if that makes sense)

Thanks for the informative post... On that post I would say to the OP as the foal is for you, then go for it!
    Let me enlighten you, this is the way I pray...

Quote Originally Posted by travs View Post
    Actually it's not a ramble. I personally have never dealt with the foaling side, yet I have always believed that having a foal for yourself and not for commercial reasons is not as hard as some people make it out to be. In terms of saying 'Oh it's so expensive... etc etc etc!'

I think for me, if I ever went into this it would be a huge learning process for me and I think it would be an enjoyable one ( worrying at times ). I think having the bond with the foal is priceless. Not only to see it grow up, and spend time with the foal and learn so much more about them ( and horses ) through their own eyes (if that makes sense)

Thanks for the informative post... On that post I would say to the OP as the foal is for you, then go for it!
    Being able to bond with a foal from day 1 is priceless and amazing. Our mares have never been foal proud with us and have happily let us mess around with the babies from day 1, I have sat on the floor in the stable while they have taken their first wobbly steps, helped them to follow mum first time out of the stable and by the time they have been a couple of weeks old we are able to touch them everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by madlady View Post
    OK firstly I don't see a problem with it, yes there is far too much indiscriminate breeding going on but that isn't what you are proposing, you are wanting to breed from your mare for yourself and not for commercial reasons.

This means that you can choose a stallion for the right reasons who compliments your mare. You also then have the benefit of having a bond with the foal from day 1 and as your intention is that this will be a forever foal for you then that bond is something that money can't buy.

Now - costs and risks. I've had both of my mares in foal - one is a seasoned broodmare but the other was a maiden and all has been well. We've now had 2 foals from Danica and 1 foal from Dandea with Danica currently in foal again. Before I put either of them in foal I went to talks on AI and natural covering, talks on foaling - what can go wrong and what to do, these were invaluable. I also had help from a very experienced lady who has run a stud for 30 years. What I found out from all that was that yes, you hear the horror stories but less than 2% of equine births go wrong. In 99% of cases the foetus will only grow as big as the mare can cope with, the biggest problem is when the foal doesn't present correctly (but that can be dealt with without the need for a vet in most cases) or if a tiny part of the afterbirth is retained which then causes peritonitis. Common problems are when the mare doesn't cleanse and needs to be 'helped' (had that with both of mine).

On the costs side yes my foals were on the expensive side but that is due to the breed and the fact that because I was using stallions from Holland that it was AI rather than natural covering my foals had cost me 1800 by the time they were born. If you are going for natural covering then you are looking at your swabs (my last lot were 100 including call out) then scanning etc - if you use a reputable stud that offers a vet package for a set amount of cycles then I would recommend using that - this means that all your scans, wash outs and any injections will be covered, my local vet offers this package for 3 cycles for 400.

So - said foalie may end up costing you around 1k - yes you can buy a welsh D cheaper but you don't personally know the mare and you don't get the bond. After having done it myself now then I would always prefer to breed for myself than buy.

Sorry for the ramble!
    That is a good point actually... Wont be for 2/3yrs at least but I think I might start looking into chosing a husband fo Holly...

I've got no experience of breeding foals so I can't tell you whether you should or shouldn't in your particular case. All I can say as an owner of an often kamikaze mare is what my decision would be and the reasons for that decision.

1. You can't be certain of whether the foal will turn out as you would wish or what misfortune might befall your own life and so I don't think anyone can guarantee a forever home
    2. There's the risk of big vet bills both when she's pregnant, in labour and when the foal is born
    3. The foal itself could create some hefty vet bills
    4. You could lose the foal, causing the mare distress
    5. You could lose both the mare and foal

But again, that's just me and my own musings on the subject.

Wow alot of good advice on this thread, makes great reading!

Interesting thread, another good civil one!
    I was having this conversation with my vet a long time ago, just musing about having a foal from my mare (could never have afforded it just dreaming!) and I said something along the lines of she's so special I'd love another one of her for when she's gone.. He said if she's so special to you definately don't breed because you'd be putting her at huge risk! Basically he meant if you can't live with the risk of death, don't!
    That'd be my biggest concern

I considered this long and hard with Belle and was pretty much lined up to putting her in foal to an Andalusian, but I suddenly realised that wanting another horse gave me the opportunity to buy the breed I'd wanted as a child and it would give me the height and sturdiness I was after much better than a cross belle foal would. Buying is much cheaper and less stressful, but I can totally understand the desire to have a foal from a much loved mare (and one day I'd like to be able to from Belle, but maybe not to keep as my next horse and bred to event rather than be suitable for an aging rider - perhaps for my daughter, who knows...). We've bred many foals and it was a truely wonderful thing to do, but expensive and stressful.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Wow madlady thanks for that!!

Skint I can see your points, very well put BTW!!

I have to say that I am against breeding for the sake of it, and part of me is against what I have been contemplating. I have said it on various threads, i am not shy about that fact but these replies are what I am looking for, Reasons for and againt and they are all excellent. I was half expecting this to turn into an argument but I am pleasantly surprised it hasnt

Its soemthing I have thought of and would love to do. But for say a 600 stud fee I could go to a sales and pick up what I wanted (or thought I wanted) get it home, do stuff with it and never bond or the other way I could breed get a lovely foaly that just isnt for me??? Does that make sense??? I mean I need a horse to be no less than 14.3hh if chunky but if fine built I need it to be bigger to take up my legs. That was why I thought of putting her to a D stally as the foal would be Welsh D x TB x WB...... would it then be registerable as a sports horse lol!!!

Its all good stuff to consider and from reading various threads all over its still a thought in the back of my head, I have had horses of mines die, its terrible and I still have a sniffle but I suppose it would be different if it was your fault and it could be avoided so to speak.

Nikki xxx

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

My neighbour did exactly this when her mare had an accident and hurt her leg. She bred a stunning foal who is now 8 years old. Unfortunately, he is a psycho. If she hadnt bred him she would have sold him long ago. He has shattered her confidence and she doesnt have an awful lot of fun with him.

She bred what she thought she wanted - and got something completely different. She bitterly regrets breeding her mare (although she does love the big guy and wont part with him) and wishes she had bought something more suitable - and she is an extremely competant and experienced rider and handler.

Otoh, I can vouch for the fact that bought in foalies are every bit as special
    Horses are for life not just for riding