Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using an un-fitted saddle for backing?

Default Using an un-fitted saddle for backing?

Hi all

Will be backing Del this summer, and have a tack query. I'm not planning to buy a saddle till 2012 when he's four, to give him time to fill out a bit more. Y/O will therefore be lending me a saddle to back him this year.

Obviously we'll make sure its a reasonable fit - to our untrained eyes it looks like it will be ok: it's a narrowish tree which will suit him as a narrow TB, and it's cut high at the wither. I'll also be padding it out really well with a sheepsikn half pad and saddle cloth. Its a really good stubben saddle and is in v good condition, no lumps and bumps or uneven flocking.

He won't be doing any hard work this summer - he's literally going to be backed then turned away till the year after.

Will it be OK to use an unfitted saddle for this basic work? I'm obviously aware that young developing muscles are particularly sensitive but at the same time I don't want to shell out for a saddle that will at the very least need re-flocking in a few months time!

I cant see it as a problem, like you said as long as it fits well enough to your mind it should be fine

I used a very old pony show saddle on Nugz - basics were there fit wise, but not what we needed or wanted but was only 75! It saw him through his re-backing, and he's now got his big boy saddle
    Visit Mico

If it fits then fine. I have just had a saddle fitted for Hattie as I don't want any upset from an ill fitting one, the saddle I though was OK was a little narrow so I was glad I'd only hopped on twice for 10 mins and no more.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

I have to say the two i backed were done with saddles that I fitted and to be fair I had no issues wth them for the length of time that they had them on. Once they were in pretty much ridden 2/3 times a week work the saddles were fitted to them but I was lucky in that the saddles that they were backed in fitted prety much without any adjustment other than removing sheepskin etc.

Nikki

Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

I would make sure it still fits reasonably well. I would be wary of padding it up if it is narrow, you may make it too narrow if you have thick pads underneath. I would want to make sure that it does fit well though as you don't want to build a bad association with wearing a saddle. Also I have read in one of my saddle fitting books that it only takes 20minutes in a badly fitted saddle to cause muscle problems.

I cant see a problem with it.

Aslong as the basic fits there.

I cant see many if anyone, getting a saddle fitted for backing
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]

As long as it fits fairly well, I dont think it would be an issue...although an ill fitting one would be a no no lol!!!

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by HJ View Post
    I cant see a problem with it.

Aslong as the basic fits there.

I cant see many if anyone, getting a saddle fitted for backing
    Oh welll, that is pretty much what I have done as the two sits I've had on Hattie is hardly what I'd call backing. I wasn't prepared to go any further without a fitted saddle for her.
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    Oh welll, that is pretty much what I have done as the two sits I've had on Hattie is hardly what I'd call backing. I wasn't prepared to go any further without a fitted saddle for her.
    I just meant for actually getting the horse used to having a saddle on, thats all
    [center][IMG]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt70/loveshorses/dxjrt1.jpg[/IMG][/center]