Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ground exercises to teach him more respect for space/me?

Default Ground exercises to teach him more respect for space/me?

I've had Alfie 7 months now and when I got him although he wasnt bad, he didnt really know any 'commands' as such-i'm talking basic things like 'back' and 'over'. So from day one whenever i've wanted him to move out of my personal space i've said the word clearly and firmly and gestured him with my hand to move away or pushed him back to 'start him off' so-to-speak.
    But it's so frustrasting becuase he still donent seem to have got the idea even now which results in this face << because he CAN do it, just wont. So obviously he doesnt have as much respect for me as he should. He can be VERY stubborn when he wants to be.
    The only time I'd say he's really good is is when i'm bring his feed into the stable and I ask him to move back-which he will and quickly! bbecuase he knows the sooner he does the sooner he gets him tea.....
    The times I find him the most hard work is when we're at the hose and im hosing his legs. He's fine with having his legs done, thats not bother at all but he will INSIST on thading against the wall (specificaly with the wall on his left side ). Now, yes I can hose all 4 legs from one side, but thats not the point he should move over when I ask so I can hose the other side and also when it comes to bathing his whole body obviously he can't be stood against a wall.

It's not just that he won't move, he will actualy push back against me He sure does kow how to test a girls patience! He EVENTUALY moved about about 10 mins of me trying to get him to and thats only becuase I untied him so he couldnt stand by the wall.
    Yesterday however when I took him upto the hose (expecting more trouble) he moved 'over' for me almost straight away after I asked.

Clearly he needs to learn some more manners so, what exersices/techniques can I use to get it better and him moving for me? we have a school where I can work with him but he's generaly pretty good in there anyway, it's mostly when he's tied up or in his stable-he likes to try his luck and push out sometimes.

I'm making him out to sound awful-he's really not only occasionaly

Suggestions please?

ETA: He doesnt respond well to 'punishment'-i.e a raised voice and a smack on the should her his being naughty-have no effect whatsoever. He's a horse that responds very well to priase, which is great except he's not moving out my way for me to be able to priase him. He gets a good fuss when he does something right so i'm frustrated as to why he doesn do it more often?!
    If I had nothing but I still had my horse and my Teddy, I'd still have everything I ever needed.

Indy.

When I went down this evening I didnt bother tying him up to hose his feet and he was good as gold and I hosed him from both sides. He also moved over straight away when I asked when I was grooming him
    Just confirms to me again that he DOES know what i'm asking him to do! argh!
    I'll keep working on it but any suggestions would be greatly apreciated
    If I had nothing but I still had my horse and my Teddy, I'd still have everything I ever needed.

Indy.

Have you tried holding his head and bringing it towards you if he won't move his hindquarters over? It will mean he has to and you can therefore praise him for it so he understands the connection between behaviour and reward better?

Smile because it happened.
    Jimmy 2003-2011

yeh i have. When he's tied up at the hose if he wont move away from the wall i go to his head and try but then all he does is take a step forward,still with his side against the wall! Encouraging him foward that way doesnt seem to work :/ ... He's only that bad at the hose for some reason,but he's fine actualy with the hose!

Indy.

Kelly Marks wrote a fab book called 'Perfect Manners', it'as really interesting and has loads of exercises in it for you to try with your horse. it also has different stages so you can start right at the beginning or if you are happy you can complete the first set of exercises already you can skip to the next stage x
    http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt94/Catghamlin/Zebedee/CatZebSig.jpg

What about using clicker training to reinforce his good behaviour? That may encourage him to try harder to please you because if you have good timing with the clicker he knows exactly what he has done to please you.

Yeh, I had considered clicker training actualy. I've done it with my dog but never with a horse so might have a little read up on it! It can't be THAT different can it lol?

And thaks yeh i'l look into the book aswell

Indy.

yea

Quote Originally Posted by neverdespair View Post
    yea
    Yeh what

Indy.

Have a look at Hannah Dawsons website. http://www.hannahdawsonequine.co.uk/

There are some great videos on there about clicker training, the things she has taught her horses to do are amazing. She's not too far from you either, so if you get a chance to go to one of her demos, I would recommend it.