Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trot Online Book Club

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons View Post
    on another forum i used to be a mamber we did a book swap too. you posted a list of books you were done with and then could choose a book from another list if they liked one of yours. no money involved as you each have to post them so roughly same price anyway. worked well and was a good way of reading much more
    We did that too - worked really well. And you could get a book for the price of postage. If we start it prob best wait till the strikes are over

Edit - I have got a whole box of paperback books I was going to bin. I'll dig through them and list them on here. If you post me a large stamp and your address I'll post them to you. No swaps needed - they were just going in the bin...

Quote Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
    have you any horsey ones leanne?
    I do believe that I might have a few I'm cooking sunday dinner at the mo but will list them later

Quote Originally Posted by leanne View Post
    I do believe that I might have a few I'm cooking sunday dinner at the mo but will list them later
    if theres anything in particualr you like let me know, have alot lying about, not horse related though

Book swap? OMG id die, mine are pristine and in alphabetical order and done so in type so biograpgies, crime, etc etc haha I really mustnt have a life.
    Nearly finished my gerritsen book, love it. Argh i need something else now waiting for a few things to go onto paper back...couldnt have small paperback then big hardback that wouldnt be fitting would it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mogadoga View Post
    Book swap? OMG id die, mine are pristine and in alphabetical order and done so in type so biograpgies, crime, etc etc haha I really mustnt have a life.
    Nearly finished my gerritsen book, love it. Argh i need something else now waiting for a few things to go onto paper back...couldnt have small paperback then big hardback that wouldnt be fitting would it LOL
    I tend not to lend my books because of the way I treat them - leave them lying around, on the floor, get trodden on - so I know others may do the same, lol

A rather old series, meant for kids but then the best books are, are teh redwall books by Brain Jacques. About Redwall Abbey, an abbey of mice, and the animals that live there. They are told as though the animals are humans. There are lots of battles and things with the evil animals, which are foxes, weasels etc.

Their is a chronilogical order and a 'written in' order - find out the written in order (google!) and read them this way and they are MUCH better. Read Redwall first, then Mossflower (which is my absolute favourite, read it millions of times, the wildcats especially Gingivere are my favourite Redwall characters) then Martin the Warrior - that will get you started!

Currently re reading the Twilight Saga in prep for the new film.

Really like Lee Child, Dean Koontz, John Connelly - used to read a lot of Patrica Cornwall but totally gone off her.

Not into girly books at all - I like quite dark crime, horror type genres - will need a new book soon as I'll be finished Breaking Dawn by the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by chickflick1066 View Post
    I too enjoy Jodi Picoult. I can't remember the name of the book but it's about a teenage boy who shoots his schoolmates. Very emotive and fantastic.
    19 Minutes - my favourite out of all her books (another Jodi Picoult fan ) I also really love The Pact, think Emily's life became so sad and beautiful at the end and what a choice for Chris! Very thought-provoking.

My favourite book in the whole world (I've just decided this) is one that nobody ever knows and even fewer people like as much as me. Its called My Heartbeat and is by Garret Freymann-Weyr. I love it so much. When you read the blurb, it comes off as a book about two gay people and the usual emotive story about them coming to terms with their sexuality, the reactions of others etc etc etc

Its not.

It is one of the deepest, most emotive and most raw books I have ever read in my life. It breaks down the characters into their purest selves, what they are when nobody is looking - although the book is short, and would be better if this part was longer and more developed. But best of all, the book is about love. Not lust, or 'liking' someone but really loving and accepting them as what they are. For example, despite the fact that two characters are very similar in appearance, the girl see's the most beauty in the face she truly loves.

But the best message of the book? Its the conclusion. That you dont love someone because they are a girl and you are a boy or vice versa. You love them for who and what they are, and you love them irrevocably. So if your truest love means you have to 'be a different sexuality', then so be it. The book shows us that in true love, even the simplest of boundaries - gay or straight - should ever hold us back.

Maybe its just me seeing more then is there. But I love it to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Doeylicious View Post
    I tend not to lend my books because of the way I treat them - leave them lying around, on the floor, get trodden on - so I know others may do the same, lol

A rather old series, meant for kids but then the best books are, are teh redwall books by Brain Jacques. About Redwall Abbey, an abbey of mice, and the animals that live there. They are told as though the animals are humans. There are lots of battles and things with the evil animals, which are foxes, weasels etc.

Their is a chronilogical order and a 'written in' order - find out the written in order (google!) and read them this way and they are MUCH better. Read Redwall first, then Mossflower (which is my absolute favourite, read it millions of times, the wildcats especially Gingivere are my favourite Redwall characters) then Martin the Warrior - that will get you started!
    I love the Redwall books too! He's still releasing them, and I'm still buying them even though I'm 19
    Mossflower was always my favourite too, although now that I'm older I find all the books about Martin really sad
    Such good books though, I was sooooo chuffed when I discovered them

Ive been trawling the site today for this thread..and just spotted the sticky
    Any one read Kathy Reichs books? Ive been given one and not captured much by the blurb but maybe im wrong. If you like them please speak up before i force my way through it lol. Itl be waiting a while like, ive just gone and got a few more today. On to my 3rd already this month. No wonder my eyes hurt so much!!