Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is better...

Default What is better...

For a novice rider to learn on, my oh will be learning on Minstrel this year to come hacking with me on the boys and I wondered what are peoples views on what is better to learn on, a GP or a deep seated dressage? I believe I personally learnt on a very flat pony saddle (on my very special Lulu Shetland)

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Touchstone Floinn - Purebred graded ID stallion available for stud.

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.
    Rest in Peace Stranduff Nichol 08.05.2014 - 19.11.2015 Goodnight little man.

No suggestions re the saddles (flipping heck thats what I call planning!! ) but just to say my OH has kind of got the bug just recently too and the past couple of weeks I don't actually appeared to have got to ride, its been indulging his new found passion with me hoofing it along on shanks pony next to him!

I have said to my OH that I don't want to teach him as I will nag (I'm his wife - it's the law ) but it's quite hard when they are totally clueless, even simple things that come naturally such as doing things from the left, how to hold the reins etc have to be explained.

Keep us updated on how he gets on

xx
    Looking for a Draft sized bits an pieces - PM if you're selling anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Camel View Post
    No suggestions re the saddles (flipping heck thats what I call planning!! ) but just to say my OH has kind of got the bug just recently too and the past couple of weeks I don't actually appeared to have got to ride, its been indulging his new found passion with me hoofing it along on shanks pony next to him!

I have said to my OH that I don't want to teach him as I will nag (I'm his wife - it's the law ) but it's quite hard when they are totally clueless, even simple things that come naturally such as doing things from the left, how to hold the reins etc have to be explained.

Keep us updated on how he gets on

xx
    He has got on and he did a trot around the school his posting was rather good for a beginner But he was *ahem* wearing the wrong boxers so it wasn't the most comfiest!! He has since been bought some "keep 'em inners" as I call them and feels a bit better trotting but I will not teach him properly just give tips and hints. I would rather someone else teach him... Because I am too impatient. I did teach him to do things around them though!

Their beauty captures every eye, a gift from God for all mankind, they lend us wings so we may fly, to ride a horse is to ride the sky

Rest In Peace Minstrel. 08.03.1998 - 31.01.2013 I will love you forever my own black beauty.

Well its a lot easier to keep a correct position in a dressage, but if you're taking him hacking might be better in the GP so he's got some knee rolls to dig his knees into in case he loses his balance! I'd go for dressage in the school though I think if I had the choice, I rarely get chance to ride in one but when I do it feels lovely having my leg in the right place without having to try!

I have in the past year ridden in both a GP and a dressage and I found the dressage suited me more but that may just be my personal preference or the different saddle makes

Sorry that was about as much help as a fart in a thunderstorm!

Quote Originally Posted by Wotsit View Post
    I have in the past year ridden in both a GP and a dressage and I found the dressage suited me more but that may just be my personal preference or the different saddle makes

Sorry that was about as much help as a fart in a thunderstorm!
    *giggles* Fart in a thunderstorm!!

Dressage saddle puts your leg in just the right place. I would also ensure that the stirrups are not too short from the start so he can see what his legs are actually for!

Happy days and I hope it does not end in divorce!

I have never ridden in a dressage saddle, so can't really help , but did try a friends horse the other day in a funny close contact thing which just had leather sides strapped to the stirrup leathers. Very odd, but I could sure get my leg down nice and straight, so much easier to get the 'classic' position than in my GP. Mind you, it helped that it is a skinny Andalucian, not my barrel of a cob . I think as a beginner that I would prefer the safety and security of a nice comfy GP though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    Dressage saddle puts your leg in just the right place. I would also ensure that the stirrups are not too short from the start so he can see what his legs are actually for!

Happy days and I hope it does not end in divorce!
    It won't. It took some convincing to get him to understand he couldn't learn on Ted though. He does really love them, which is fantastic

I have never ridden in a dressage, so I can only say I like GP's. My suggestion though would be to have him try Minstrel in both, and see which he finds more to his liking.
    "The past is only the future with the lights on" - +44