Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is better...

Go for a GP every time. It's important that he gets the familiarity so that as things go slightly wrong (and they will) he can cope without a problem.
    Patrick

The dressage saddle will probably make him feel more secure & encourage a more correct position, but if he wants to canter out of the saddle later on then that will be easier in the GP. Get him to try both, one may fit him better than the other & then you've got your choice made for you.
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

For a beginner rider, I'd go for GP. It has more "options" on where the legs can go and he'll learn more if the saddle isn't doing all the work for him, keeping him in place. I've also had a couple guys mention the GP is kinder to their hips, because the dressage encourages an open hip from the get-go, something that beginner riders can struggle with.

From a male perspective I would say the GP until he has a stable position. Dressage saddles tend to have a steeper incline at the front which can cause some discomfort for males if they dont have a secure (still) position. I'm sure you get my drift.

Some interesting theories here.
    I can obviously only comment from a female point of view, but I know both my YO and I always put the dressage saddles on if we're going for a slow (walk and trot) hack. If it's gonna be a fast one, we put the "go faster saddles" on.
    She did comment that she feels more secure in hers. I just feel more comfy, and it helps me concentrate on using my legs properly. Both of which may help your OH.
    That said, I also see where the people are coming from when they say use a GP to give him more freedom of movement and take away the comfort blanket effect of the secureness of the dressage saddle. He won't learn to rely on it then....decisions, decisions...

You should try both dressage and GP and then you can decide which one he prefers..

GP... I'm planning on getting my OH on Henry this summer *evil grin* I would like him to be at least able to walk, stop and steer!
    Please visit my ebay, vets bills to pay! 17.01.2013- NEW THINGS ON EBAY starting at 99p!