Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: My plans for Vel following my fall

  1. #1

    Default My plans for Vel following my fall

    As most of you know I fell of Vel 10 days ago onto the road during a hack, he had a baby spook and decided to do a bucking bronco in the direction of home leaving me in a heap on the road with a suspected dislocated hip and posibly a fracture in my pelvis.
    I am currently waiting for a CT scan to establish the full extent of my injuries, it still could just be very badly bruised, torn muscle and ligaments but ive had a bit of a think about what ill do if Im gonna be laid up for a few months in recovery.

    So I have decided if my healing time is going to be a few months im going to put Vel to Orkney for around 6 weeks to the same backing yard as Dollie is going to, mum is good friends with the instructor and the kids go down to camps every year to the riding school.

    At present I am totally unable to do anything with Vel and poor mum is having to do all the horse duties plus work and look after the kids so if I cant return to do the horses in the near future it would be unfair to expect her to carry on looking after the herd on her own, although she says she is willing to look after them all till Im better bless her (I am so lucky to have her as a mum!)

    The instructor in Orkney charges 65 a week, this includes feed, bedding, full livery and she will work with Vel 1 hour a day.

    As most of you know I have no school where I am and can only do road work with Vel which isnt ideal for bringing on a youngster.

    I did originally hope to do all Vel training myself but I suppose nobody can predict what is going to happen in the future and tbh I have done the hardest part of backing a younster with him already last year.

    So I guess its all down to the CT scan, if it shows I have in fact had a dislocation and have fractures I will more than likey be sending Vel to Orkney in the near future. I had planned before my fall to take him to Orkney end of March for a week for some lessons with the instructor in the school but it might work out for the best that I send him a bit earlier whilst I 'heal'.

    What do you think????

  2. #2

    Default

    Sounds a good idea to me! Hope you get better soon and fingers crossed its not broken!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,733

    Default

    Sounds like a ideal situation. You need time to heal up, and Vel might as well go to school in the meantime!
    "The past is only the future with the lights on" - +44

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glasgow, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Sounds like a good plan. Hope you heal quickly, and it isn't quite so bad as it feels it is just now.
    I pay my pyschiatrist in hay and horseshoes

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    At the yard...
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Agree with others, sounds like a good idea; esp if you don't have a school etc.

  6. #6

    Default

    If you don't have the means to get his basic schooling done then, regardless of the CT scans, send him away. IME correct early schooling is essential, & it's easier on everyone to start with a clean slate reather than sort out problems.

    I hope your injuries are just pulls & bruises, though they can hurt enough!
    I was so young & full of pride
    And you were wild & strong,
    I never knew how weak I was


    You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run
    You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table.
    There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done.

  7. #7

    Default

    I guess I just wanted to do all his training myself, thats the only thing thats holding me back, I know exactly what his training has involved so far so to send him off and not know what is being asked of him scares me a bit....that might sound stupid and maybe is
    I do know this instructor is great, have only heard good things about her and the fact she has the facilities to bring him on is ideal for him now.
    I will have acess to a school during the summer but it will be a 30 min journey in the trailer every time we want to use it
    I guess I should just wait till I have my CT then make the decision but just wanted to see if others thought it would be a good plan for him.
    Thanks for the replies x

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Dundee
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    Sounds like a good idea to have in reserve if necessary. I hope your not too broken.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,762

    Default

    Fingers crossed your back on your feet soon and the ct scans give you better news.

    In regards to vel I think that it's a good idea what your doing and will do him good

    Take it easy and gentle hugs for you

    Listen, smile, agree and then do whatever the hell you were going to do anyway.

  10. #10

    Default

    I think, that if a fall from him at this stage can leave you with such injuries, it would be better to send him away anyway for a bit. He's a big lad, and I can honestly say I've fallen from a fair few 15hh and under on the road from broncs etc, rolled over and been fine - backing and bringing on something with his size and power is a bigger risk, and as you rightly say, in a school would be better for now!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •