Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My plans for Vel following my fall

I guess I just fell in an unlucky position, to be fair I did do his backing in a school last summer but in hindsight perhaps bringing him back into work this year from having the winter off should have been done over softer ground.
    We have been on quite a few sucessful hacks this year already but I do think the combination of very little turnout and the fact he is young was the reason he had a 'moment', we also had passed 2 horses right at the beginning of the ride who were headed in the opposite direction.

I totally agree though from now on I will be more selective on my surroundings before mounting the big guy!

It has reminded me that even though he is a big softy and very laid back he can still do a great deal of damage to me in certain circumstances.

I guess I do have another option.....to leave him another year, does anyone think that might be the right thing to do? Turn him away for this summer too?
    I do think he would be pretty bored but there have been some ppl who have said to leave him till he is 5 before bringing him into proper work???
    And this is our first blip so far, I do think he is lacking confidence but will that come through training or maturity?

oooh ******, poor you, I didn't know, you must be sooooooo sore. Sorry to hear it.

TBH it never hurt any horse to be turned away for a few months, babies in particular. Never worry.

Wally im surprised you havent heard....I was told by a friend this morning she had a call from someone informing her I had fallen from Vel and was shipping him away today
    Good old Shetland rumours

Nope not heard a dicky bird, Shetland radio latrine out of order perhaps!

ouch

that must hurt

Wow, this is an old thread.

Mother always told me honesty is the best policy, but for most the truth hurts.

Noodle, yes it is...im not sure why its cropped up now!!!!

Just for the record (as I didnt updated this thread after my CT scan) I had infact broken my back in 6 places (5 vertibrae and my sacrum bone) broke my right hip socket, broke my pubic bone and had dislocated my left hip.

Doctors were mortified that they hadnt picked this up earlier and I was sent straight to Aberdeen hospital by air ambulance

So yes he went to Orkney whilst I was on bed rest!!!!