Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indy's 1st Hunt!

Default Indy's 1st Hunt!

So, yesterday I took Indy on her first ever hunt! She has seen the hounds at hound exercise so she wasn't phased by them but she knew something was up the night before!

Monday evening I got her ready and left her nice and clean and eventually plaited (I say eventually as she was trying to nuzzle me and have a love in so plaiting the top of her neck was a bit of a chore when she's trying to cuddle you under your arm!) so she was a bit suspicious of me then as the last time I did this was for the mock hunt we did a couple of weeks ago.

Yesterday I got to the yard and she was standing in the middle of her box looking at me suspiciously. I mucked her out and put her haylage in but she didn't touch it (which for her is really weird as she normally drags it out the wheelbarrow before I'm in the stable!). I rolled the plaits and brushed her over. Still no eating and then she pulled her back bank down and started to scrape the floor. Told her off for this as I had only just laid it!

Tacked up 4 of us went to the meet. Half hour hack and we were there. She was looking around and taking it all in and stood like an angel.

Hounds came out and off we went!

The first hill I let her go as she was pulling like a train but it's a good hill to let of steam. After that she was a bit strong but manageable and rather than fuss with her we did some rather nice collected canters whilst others were trotting! Got to the top and climbed over some logs and were off again. For the next hour we had quite a lot of standing around with a few canters. After some really narrow paths, some more log negotiating, some steep uphill climbs and some steep downhill descents between trees (Indy forgot I was on her at this point and that her width was actually wider than she was she took my out on a tree! Ouch! ). We did some road work and then had another break. The hounds had gone off on there own outing and the master was trying to find them and the whips. I think at this point he decided we'd been too slow as from then on we galloped everywhere

After some fab galloping across fields we hit a dead end so had to jump a tricky post and rails with a downhill landing side and a gulley on the take off side. Indy hasn't jumped much x-country so I let her pick her way over it. I was expecting her to take off really early to avoid the gulley but she negotiated it like a pro and made it feel lovely! Cue one very pleased mum!

We did some very fast downhill galloping (at this point my friend and I looked at each other and said a few choice words! And all I could think of was my old instructor saying to me, relax, a horse is a 4x4), some fast uphill gallop and some very fast flat gallops later we had come to another stop but still not caught the hounds!

At this point we parted with the hunt and hacked home. Very cold, very dirty, very hungry but very pleased!

Indy was a star and we had several comments about how good she was for a rising 7yr old on her first hunt which was lovely. Everyone on the hunt was friendly and we had a great day.

Got home, washed down and put her to bed where she then called for over an hour until all her friends were in from the field!

No action shots unfortunately but quite a few from the meet!

Her looking like a wonky eared donkey!

Sounds like you had a brilliant time!! Very jealous, i've not hunted for years!
    Native pony addict!

Wow what a day,sounds like you and Indy loved it

Brings back memories of day I went but I hated it

Explain more about the 4x4 I worry cantering downhill let alone galloping!!

oh i love indy! she always looks fantastic!

glad you girls had fun! whens the next one?
    Last edited by Tally; 02-03-2011 at 15:31.

I wish I had both the ability and nerve to go hunting, it is one of my goals that I will someday achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Sounds like you had a brilliant time!! Very jealous, i've not hunted for years!
    I did indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by essexlady View Post
    Wow what a day,sounds like you and Indy loved it

Brings back memories of day I went but I hated it

Explain more about the 4x4 I worry cantering downhill let alone galloping!!
    He always said horses are one of nature natural 4x4's like dogs and cats and that they can handle all terain better than any 4x4 so just let them handle it! Still scary but sometimes you just have to put your trust in the horse as interferring can unbalance them more. Obviously, sometimes we have to intervene as we read a situation differently to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally View Post
    oh i love indy! she always looks fantastic!

glad you girls had fun! whens the next one?
    Not until next year now as it's end of season

Quote Originally Posted by lala1984 View Post
    I wish I had both the ability and nerve to go hunting, it is one of my goals that I will someday achieve.
    Keep aiming for it as it's great fun and if it's the prospect of jumping that worries you just call the hunt as some do non-jumping days yet you still get to have a good gallop!

ooooo im hopefully doing my first hunt this month, cant wait, hope hes as good as your girlie has been, looks like you had a good day
    12hh 5 yr old gelding for sale, message me for details

Well done, sounds like great fun! She looks lovely, kind eyes

I do hate the fast downhill bits hunting though, I always end up at the back after them

RIP Adam - 25th October 1990- 8th October 2012

She's gorgeous! Sounds like you had a fab time - you're much braver than me!

My RI is always telling me horses are the original 4x4s if I'm having a wobble over some dodgy ground

Quote Originally Posted by toraf View Post
    Well done, sounds like great fun! She looks lovely, kind eyes

I do hate the fast downhill bits hunting though, I always end up at the back after them
    I had no hope of being at the back. She has a long stride at the best of times let alone when trying to gallop!

Hayley have fun and if all else fails just 'Kick On!'

SLG