Thread: Help?

Default Help?

I'm a total nervous nelly when it comes to riding. I can't canter at all I will refuse to go further than trot because a riding school I went to didn't bother trying to help and decieded they would take me on a hack and canter even when I told her I couldn't she carried on anyway and I ended up galloping out of control towards a main road

Now that I have the horse of my dreams I think it's time I should face the fears so my sister has kindly offered to pay towards some private riding lessons.
    Whatever horse I ride I always think they'll bolt with me so I go tense and curl up into a ball anyway I could solve this?
    How can I explain to the instructor that I'm a complete wreck when it comes to cantering without balling into tears (always happens!)
    Thanks

Some lunge lessons on a well schooled horse with a GOOD instructor who understands about the fear response and how to handle it.

Can you travel? One of my instructors is fantastic for this: http://www.equipilates.com/ and she will travel if you can get another 3 people together

Find a sympathetic riding instructor and explain to them what you want to achieve - ask your instructor to set you manageable goals and excercises that you can do on your own.

For the actual cantering you need to understand what your issues are - you say you are frightened of being run off with but why? Are you scared of coming off at speed? Not being in control?

It may give you confidence to have your first canter on the lunge where your instructor will be in control and you can concentrate on not tensing, gripping and curling up - the more tense you are in your position at canter the more you will bounce and the more likelyhood there is of you coming off. Would it help if someone else rode your horse and cantered where you can watch so that you know your horse is safe?

The other thing you need to ask yourself is OK what's the worst that can happen? For me the worst is me and horse parting company out on a hack and being injured - so I take my phone with me Me and big girl never have parted company but it can happen to anyone - I've also now trained her to stand at the side of me and not wander off in the hope that if we did ever have a mishap that she wouldn't go running around the roads on her own - again not a guarantee but I've covered as many angles as I can and that is the best anyone can do at the end of the day.

A good instructor should be able to give you lots of pointers and help.

Jay, whereabouts are you in Worcestershire?

The freelance RI that comes to our yard is absolutely fabulous. She completey understood my fear of getting on Taffy. We talked about the reasons why I was so nervous and all the if's and but's. She basically held my hand the whole way through.

I can ask her how far she will travel if you like? My yard is not that far from Worcestershire.

I know exactly what you are going through though

Right next to the M5 Motorway the horses field is next to it lol!
    My fear is not being in control and not being able to stop.
    If she can travel that far it would be great! Thanks

PM me whereabouts you are and I will ask her on Friday.

Really can vouch for her