Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Signs of late pregnancy?

Default Signs of late pregnancy?

Anyone. Please

ETA: just like to say the vet is coming out, but would be nice to have a faint idea before we phone up

how late of a pregnancy? as in how many months?

I was going to say you or the horse, before you said about the vet

Hollowing out of the flanks, huge belly near the flanks, swollen teats (bagging), wripples on their skin on the belly... (milk going to the teats), dripping milk, waxing up (wax like cover on the teats to stop milk dripping)

Symptoms for labour, stamping feet, tail swishing, looking at flanks...

What has made you think she might be pregnant, Beth? I assume we're talking about Zara, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by HashRouge View Post
    What has made you think she might be pregnant, Beth? I assume we're talking about Zara, btw.

Sleep tight my darling boy, 06/05/1997 - 29/03/2016

I'm not sure she is, although I have a feeling she might be =/
    There are three people involved, A, B and me.
    B bought her from A who had fallen in love with her and wanted to keep her for good, suddenly she changed her mind and sold her to B. That was 9 months ago. Ok, there could have been a genuine reason for the sudden change of mind, however it could be that she got in with a stallion/rig and did the dirty deed?
    B bought her to give lessons on but decided she was unsuitable as her trot and canter are fast and she is a sensitive mare who wasn't suitable for the people she taught and needed someone more competent. She had her for 7 months and could have been totally unaware that she was pregnant. She bought her in June last year, so assuming A sold her as soon as she got pregnant (IF she is ) then she'd be due in June (they are pregnant for 11 months right? ).
    She was tubby when I got her, but more round than fat, but she is an ex-broodmare so that could explain that, however I weighed her on Monday and she weighed 15KG more than last time, which is fine, but I weighed her today and she's put on another 25KG in three days, I know it's possible that she's done that because of the grass etc, but she has grown more around her underbelly rather than anywhere else (like neck and bum), you can still feel her ribs, she's grown on one side rather than both, her 'teats' look bigger and more distended, she has mood changes and has started moving a lot slower and more cautiously in-hand and in the field, and she's hollowed out about around her flanks (like where the hair direction changes)

It's probably grass, but I'm tempted to get the vet out to check her anyway

Is she seperating herselve from the heard??

hard to say, she lives with one other mare and they are often at the other end of the field to each other

have you got any very recent photos of her not tacked up that we could see?
    its hard to say but sounds like pregnancy wouldnt be out of the question, could you get in contact with A and ask?
    I'd get the vet out asap tbh just in case - if A didnt sell her as soon as she hypothetically got pregnant then in theory baby could be due in a few weeks!
    Out of interest, what would you do with the foal is she is pregnant?