Thread: Rotator Cuff tear

Question Rotator Cuff tear

Has anyone had any experience of this op please? I fell off my boy straight onto my shoulder in May, had Xrays & thought l'm lucky it's not broken, but as the weeks passed & it wasn't getting better I went back to the Docs & they told me that this is what I've done & it won't repair itself - I need an op. Then it apparently has to be immobilised for 6 - 8 weeks to allow it to heal OK what has to be done has to be done, though I am at a bit of a disadvantage as I have a Malformed right hand which isn't very useful on it's own & the shoulder I've damaged was the good one, so I am a tad worried as to how I'm going to manage. I realise there are loads of you out there that have far more to cope with everyday, but I was just wondering how much if anything I will be able to do with that arm? Help please sorry this is a bit long.

Nonsurgical Options
    In many instances, nonsurgical treatment can provide pain relief and can improve the function of the shoulder.

Nonsurgical treatment options may include:

Rest and limited overhead activity
    Use of a sling
    Anti-inflammatory medication
    Steroid injection
    Strengthening exercise and physical therapy

Have you tried steroid injections? Not nice but better than being in a state for 6-8 weeks.

My father managed to destroy both shoulders (bone, the joints!) in an accident and his recovery from that was surprisingly quick compared to the time frame they quoted!

My Mum has recently had a very similar op on her shoulder. The recovery period is a long slow process but she's really really pleased with the results so far. The sling was on for nearly 7 weeks.
    Making the most of every day with you Gazzy

No experience, but just wanted to wish you luck with the Op

Thank you everyone , I wondered if they'd give me a steroid injection, but they wouldn't as they said that I needed the op & the surgeon wouldn't want me to have the Steroid injection as it could interfere. The Pains not too bad right now & I'm not afraid of ops, but definitely not looking forward to having my arm strapped up. But I suppose 6 - 8 weeks is not too bad if I get a good result at the end & get back to riding.