Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Mounting - advice please

Default Problem Mounting - advice please

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has problems mounting. I'm 55 years old and have arthritis in both hands - I thought it had spread to my left hip because its very painful but x-rays have shown it hasn't spread there which is great. However, I still have difficulty getting on board!

I'm very fit and flexible in the rest of my body but as soon as I try to swing my right leg over the saddle my left hip gives way and I end up sprawled almost laying along the saddle. I've tried getting a higher mounting block but it doesn't appear to make things easier. Its just the motion of swivelling up and over on my left hip which is the problem.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm hoping that there may be exercises I can do to make things easier. Any help really would be great!!

Thanks in advance

Kaz

I've never had to experience this or know anyone who has. All I can think of is what if you mount from the off side?

Quote Originally Posted by IPIndy View Post
    All I can think of is what if you mount from the off side?
    Just what I was going to suggest....

"You're better doing 10 minutes good work than 20 minutes of bad" - The Daughter.

Try a gentle Pilates class if you can find one near you. You will be amazed at how the gentle stretches free up hips

My mounting block was made by the local RDA, horse has been schooled to park there and wait whilst I faf about. I have MS and no strength in my left leg so I slide on sideways, by sort of kneeling on my right knee then dropping it over the side!!! Dismounting I almost lie on his back and slide my right leg across his neck, not very dainty but it works.. What I can't solve is how to get back on when I drop a glove..... By the way, my horse is a paragon of patience and seems to know he has to look after me.

He sounds like a Gem

My close friend has MS too and often looses the feelings in her legs, I can sympathise with how tiring and difficult it can be x

Sounds difficult for you and what a fab horse you have!

TBH I can't think of anything that could help you right now but if I do I will let you know!

If you can muster a willing volunteer (or two at the beginning) to hold your horse and be there 'just in case' you could do what some RDA riders do, and from a high (and I mean high!) mounting block, turn your back to the horse, sit your bottom onto the nearside of the saddle then swing (slither!) your right leg up and over the withers. To be safe it really requires someone holding the horse still, and someone standing on the offside just in case you lean too far back and go all the way over headfirst, but once you've got the hang of it it'd be up to you whether you did it alone or not.

Thank you for your replies - very helpful.

I have asked a friend to stand with my horse when I get on because if my hip gives way I end up flopping down onto the saddle - the inside of my right thigh is one mass of bruises. Yesterday there was no-one around to stand with my horse so I just hoped for the best and went for it - I was able to get my right leg over the saddle that time but only just.

I think I'll get a very high mounting block made and go for the bottom first slither approach suggested by HorselessRider!

Thanks again, Kaz

I use the hen house (as I'm lardy and a bit lazy!) but I don't suppose that would help if its the swivelling action that is the issue ... just wanted to sympathise with the right inner thigh full of bruises! mine is terrible as I always seem to catch it on the cantle as I get off, the only way I avoid it is by doing an over exagerated leap off like a jockey - not good for the knees though!

xx
    Looking for a Draft sized bits an pieces - PM if you're selling anything!