Thread: Nationaldriving champs spectator report

Default Nationaldriving champs spectator report

Saturday Morning we were up bright and early and got to the yard before 7. We tacked up and made our way down the drive past the country fair, drivers walking the obstacles and the flags. It had rained (we were waterproofed up) and Mischief danced around the puddles. We seemed to follow the 4x4 laying out the arrows for the marathon course. We went round the back field and both boys took exception to a badgers set and partially decomposed badger. Even the dependable rolo was not having any of it. After much spinning we finally got past. After mucking out and lunging a fellow livery's horse we went for a cuppa in the club house (I love it when the club house is open) By this stage it was only 9am.

We then walked round the country fair and were most disappointed. There were 2 falconry stands, 2 ferret stands, a very small food tent, a palm reader and a coat and hat stall. I felt sorry for thgose doing the demos as hardly anyone was watching they were all absorbed by the marathon driving.

The man at the falconry stand was lovely and I got to hold an owl

We then went over and watched the marathon. I had forgotten to charge my camera so I only have pics of the novice pony class! The day was a fund raiser for cancer research and the participants all paid to wear pink. This ranged from pink socks to men in pink tutu's anbd one of our ym's in a pink panther outfit

video of the new cancer research obstacle

video of the water

video of the zoe napier obstacle

We walked to some of the further obstacles for the advanced 4 horses class. We saw Daniel Naprous driving, the current champion boyd exell and george bowman. The power of 4 large horses is unbelievable, they all work individually as a team, its amazing. Pip Bassett's 4 were beautiful and she was very slim but controlling 4 huge greys.

It was a fascinating day and really makes me want to have a go (with ponies not horses)

This morning we mucked out then watched some of the cones (the third day and the sj equivalent for driving) Everyone looked so smart

At the same time a fellow livery ran a showing driving show

vid

We had to leave for a sponsored ride but it was an amazing weekend, there were competitors from all across Europe (it was a warm up for windsor) and we really noted that it was for everyone, young, old, couples, friends, men and women. I really recommend going to watch driving trials.
    no-one died of a fast trot
    A member of the Secret Sausage Society

Are you stabled at ashfields? My boss was competing the this weekend at her first national and came 2nd in the pony pairs. :-) watching is fun but back stepping is even better!

yes Heucherella and I are stabled there, most people are drivers
    no-one died of a fast trot
    A member of the Secret Sausage Society

I had a great day . So nice to meet you guys
    Last edited by X.T; 08-05-2011 at 21:44.

I love watching the driving trials..... I went to Sandringham a couple of years ago and back stepped for a friend who was competing in the novice pony section - I met Daniel Naprous and his then team of greys, Karen Bassett and her Trakehners and George Bowman - I think he was driving a team of Cumberland Cobs (which I believe he breeds)...... it certainly makes you want to give it a try (VERY expensive sport tho)

Quote Originally Posted by X.T View Post
    I had a great day . So nice to meet you guys
    And you

And here is the proof of a TO mini-meet - Wibble with Neen and X.T