Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reply from Vosa!

Quote Originally Posted by wibble View Post
    but still no laws on towing weights
    There is no law which states - the driver must not exceed the towing capacity set by the manufacturer but....

According to a very reliable source from the same place as the OP got their answer from

Exceeding the towing capacity of a vehicle could leave the driver open to prosecution under the following:-
    Regulation 100 C&U regs 1986
    Road traffic act section 40, 41 or 42 with possible penalty points
    If overload more than 30% then may consider vehicle/combination being in dangerous condition

I hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by CharliesAngel View Post
    I understand there are plans afoot to lower the weights allowed to be towed with category B alone to weed out those who are just making it inside 3.5 tonnes with a single trailer etc.
    The new driver proposals are to stop new drivers towing trailers over 3500 MAM unless they get a C1+E licence but as virtually all trailers towed by B category licence holders are 3500 and under then its not really going to make any difference

Trailers over 3500 MAM come under the commercial trailer laws and the rules for their construction are very different

I stand corrected, the info I got from Essex Police is, in fact, incorrect.

Doesn't affect me thankfully..... A. My 4x4 can tow 2800kgs, and the weight of my trailer is 2595Kgs and B. I hold a Class 1 LGV Licence which entitles me to drive an Articulated Lorry (C1 and C1+E)

However, I think that it is always best to buy a 4x4 with the maximum towing capacity A. you can afford and B. with a towing capacity of more than you need.

Great stuff Wibble!

Quote Originally Posted by MyBeautifulFriend View Post
    I hold a Class 1 LGV Licence which entitles me to drive an Articulated Lorry (C1 and C1+E)
    Do you mean C and C+E?

Quote Originally Posted by MyBeautifulFriend View Post
    My 4x4 can tow 2800kgs, and the weight of my trailer is 2595Kgs
    Consider being overloaded ......
    If the plated MAM of the trailer is exceeded then the law is quite clear on the penalties
    If the towing capacity is exceeded then it has to be proven the combination is unsafe - much harder to convict than the first

Best bet - if possible have a trailer where the plated MAM is higher than the towing capacity then work with the towing capacity so the trailer MAM never comes near to being exceeded