Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reply from Vosa!

I'm just wondering what's happened to all the hoards of people that were on the previous thread?

I was wondering the exact same thing Joy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thestral View Post
    I was wondering the exact same thing Joy!!
    And me!!

Maybe people aren't comfortable to admit they're wrong? I don't have a problem with this unless it's to my hubby in which case I'm never wrong!

Perhaps, lets just hope that they are clear in their understanding in future before they type.
    We all get things wrong from time to time. You learn something new every day after all, and in this case it was about as clear as mud what the requirements were.

I think vosa/the dvla/the police should put together a no nonsense guide for those towing horse trailers Firstly it would stop misinterpretation and secondly there would be no excuse to get it wrong.

I certainly misunderstood what I had read although it hasn't affected me as I have a trailer that weighs 1440kg and has a maximum weight of 3000kgs I tow with a landrover that can pull 3500kgs and I pull 2 horses with a combined weight of 1350 leaving me 210kgs for tack and sleeping bags etc. I am not going to save much by changing my 4x4 as I would still need to pull 3000kgs.
    no-one died of a fast trot
    A member of the Secret Sausage Society

Quote Originally Posted by wibble View Post
    I think vosa/the dvla/the police should put together a no nonsense guide for those towing horse trailers Firstly it would stop misinterpretation and secondly there would be no excuse to get it wrong.
    I completely agree, perhaps it's worth writing to the BHS or similar and asking them to do a leaflet or information on it. There isn't much else that is like towing livestock in a trailer after all.

Where's the smug smiley when you need one.

I must be REALLY Thick cause im still sooo confused about it! All i know is that I need to do a test....

having read this I assumed I was previously wrong, having always been in Group A..... however I was at the VOSA test centre yesterday doing trailer training and mentioned to the instructor the general confusion that exists over this and asked him if there was somewhere where the law was clearly printed online or in leaflet form. He confirmed there is still confusion among the powers that be and that he has heard different officials giving different answers. He had however discussed it with the examiners and said Group A would be right. Having done a bit more reading I wonder if there is confusion between licensing and construction and use guidelines?

the whole thing is highly frustrating, at the end of the day we all just want to abide by the law but wouldn't it be nice if they could make it clear for us? It doenst affect me as I had my trailer
    downplated anyway to be sure but if I ever wanted to carry 2 horses in it it would need to be the original plate. I understand there are plans afoot to lower the weights allowed to be towed with category B alone to weed out those who are just making it inside 3.5 tonnes with a single trailer etc.
    Last edited by CharliesAngel; 09-08-2011 at 09:22.