Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major schooling this morning (CC please)

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    It's far too un-comfy to do for a long period of time anyway
    You mean you don't have Inspector Gadget arms?? How disappointing

I used to have to do the 'lean forwards, hands by the knees' thing a lot too - especially in canter (which is very exciting!). It's definately not a bad exercise, especially with a horse like Major who was a bit upside down in his neck, like most ex-racers... Once the muscle starts swapping over then everything becomes so much easier Only problem is, my hands are now naturally gravitating towards my feet all the time

He does look good, a big improvement from how he was! And with the attention-span-of-a-gnat-issue, one thing I find that helps with Wilby is to continually flip him from inside bend to outside bend, to inside etc, in walk and trot, and that really makes him listen more and stops him trying to rush off. Might not work with Major, but they sound so similar in so many aspects that it might

I will try that SB, I find him very frustrating just when I think it's going ok an ant 3 miles away distracts him. Oh well at least he's starting to look like a normal pony now!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle12 View Post
    He looks lovely. Just a little bit of CC, not so keen on pics 3 and 4. The bit isnt really going to be sitting in the right part of the mouth for him to become soft in the contact. To get the long and low you need to be working him over his back more so his back becomes supple and swingy like your pics towards the end. Also try not to turn your hands down think thumbs on top. But you really can see a definite improvement!
    Ditto this, she said it way better than I could. He's looking pretty happy and relaxed about it now, compared to before pics, well done.

http://pheme.posterous.com/ >>>> stalk me if you want, it's not terribly interesting though!

Havnt read the other replies so sorry if its repeating but some CC from me and i'm NO expert!!

I personally dont like you sitting out of the saddle and putting your hands down, it's almost forcing him down which will
    only create a false outline, he wont be working correctly, it also wont put the bridle in the correct place for him to be able to
    take a correct contact. I would also lift your hands up a little as apposed to having them on your thighs, I do this too sometimes and I know how hard of a habbit it is to break lol

He does look better from the old photos, but he doesnt looks like he is actually rounding in the recent ones (the false outline)
    I would work lots on getting him moving from behind into your hands sitting up tall with your hands lifted but soft but keeping a contact and just work on getting him to soften that way, lots of up and down transitions to keep him thinking of get that impulsion going to help him round and soften.

Not sure if this is any help lol but just my opinions He has def improved though but I think if you work how your instructor has told you (sitting out of the saddle and holding hands very very low) with teach him incorrectly

Goodluck with him KC

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012

Agree with the other posters, lowering the hands forces an outline, you actually want them to raise their backs and work from behind not just force the head down. My ride With Your Mind lessons, which have really transformed how I think about schooling, are all about using your seat and position to get the horse moving correctly and forming a lovely shape, it is never about getting the head down, but setting the horse up so it naturally carries itself and generally hands should be always carried (but occasionally going wid if necessary).
    [SIGPIC][CENTER][/CENTER][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Clava View Post
    Agree with the other posters, lowering the hands forces an outline, you actually want them to raise their backs and work from behind not just force the head down. My ride With Your Mind lessons, which have really transformed how I think about schooling, are all about using your seat and position to get the horse moving correctly and forming a lovely shape, it is never about getting the head down, but setting the horse up so it naturally carries itself and generally hands should be always carried (but occasionally going wid if necessary).
    Not only that but it will also put him on his forehand which you dont want

R.I.P Mickey - 1996 - 31st May 2012